Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Things games should have, but don't
(02-15-2011, 11:08 AM)PatientZero Wrote:
(02-15-2011, 10:40 AM)Tachikoma Wrote: Things we don't need any more:
save points for fuck's sake stop telling me where I can and can't save. I'm disinclined to believe there are ANY games where this is necessary due to hardware. Some games get away with this if they're shorter puzzle type levels, but most- no. >:I

Actually, often it's down to either engine limitations, as in, the game will break if you can save outside of designated areas, a lot of the time it's just not made to save all the possible variables in play, this is why a lot of RPG's heal you at save points, it means they don't need to store any of that data because the game knows what it is by default, or as a pure gameplay mechanic, being able to save and load whenever you want takes a HUGE chunk of the risk or tension out of any game.
Imagine if Silent Hill let you save wherever you want, suddenly there's ZERO risk and it stops being scary.
Also, from a designer perspective, it's a good way to keep people playing, the whole "I'll just get to the next save point" thing, and ultimately the whole idea is that you want people to play the game as often and for as long as possible.

CLASS DISMISSED.

This is what killed Phoenix Wright for me :C

Sure, it's fun when you try to figure out all the puzzles on your own, but when I got to a point where the question was literal bullcrap, I saved right before I did it and then just trudged through all the logical answers until something worked.

I didn't figure this out until I played the third game (which was my second PW game), but still.
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things games should have, but don't - by Rosencrantz - 02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: Things games should have, but don't - by Gwen - 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM
RE: Things games should have, but don't - by Rai - 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Things games should have, but don't - by Rai - 07-14-2012, 12:13 AM