Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
An issue with transparency
So, I managed to extract one of the asset files for Sta Wars The Clone Wars: Path of the Jedi

Just one MAJOR issue...
The game is a shockwave game, which presents some complications.
My first assumptions were embedded flash movies or...3d models
The first I probably could've gotten at.
The second?
probably not...
It turned out to be, well...

I had my friend pop-open the extracted .cst file for Genreal Grievous.
He says there are 600 jpeg-ized bitmap cast members

So even the fact that i'd have to, when my new pc (and the new router) is set-up, manually export 600+ .bmps wouldn't stop me...
My trick to dealing with LOADS of content is do it in sections/batches, perhaps separated in time intervals of days, weeks, months, etc...

However, there's a worse problem...
see:

Note the black background?
If zoomed-in somewhat grossly, besides the jpeg artifacting becomes clearly visible, you'll note this also effects what is supposed to be the transparent regions for this sprite...

So, is there ANY way to restore this?
(Ideally without manually re-spriting THOUSANDS of images...and if just grievous' file has 600+ ...imagine the entire game, which has ...a LOT of files!)

The jpeg-ization doesn't bug me...
but the black background simply won't do.
That said, if there's some kind of alpha approximation algorithm/tool that can be run on these, it'd be nice to have it.

Before anyone asks me for the full .cst file, while I could provide it...
A: it is 17 megs (as opposed to the 'original' .cct which is 3 megs)
B: You must acquire Adobe Director to open it... so that's either a ton of money or one must be willing to pirate it
C: Unlike .swf, the Shockwave format to this date remains top-secret, which is a big part of why its code security is considered to be higher than flash. That said, anything to be done on this file either must somehow be done in Director, or the format must be scuessfully reverse-engineered. My friend and I started a little attempt at this, and needless to say, we haven't gotten very far at all. Fact is, DirOpener, which is used on .dcr and .dxr files, only really works because of an exploit. IDK about Recover cct, which is what I used on grievous, here...

That should be everything.
REALLY hope someone can help, even though I don't presently have the capabilities to start ripping this game, given my computer/internet situation... I do at one point hope to do it. But, not much I can do if the graphics are in a proprietary format that simply can't be exported the same way it must have gone in. (the bitmaps apparently have "use alpha" checked, so they do have some form of transparency data, but director, like all adobe utilities, is designed to lock developers (and hackers) out of recovering data from project and compiled files via proprietary formats that either export in a lossful format, or don't export at all.)
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
An issue with transparency - by DarkGrievous7145 - 10-03-2015, 01:24 AM
RE: An issue with transparency - by Hiccup - 10-04-2015, 05:22 AM