Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Tilesets
well, tried my little theory...

good news and bad news

Good news is I've got some tiles.
Bad news is not entirely what I was expecting.

When google-searching for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon screenshots, maps, tiles, etc... one night I happened upon a little project called Pokemon Mystery Universe, or... "PMU". I also noticed the client source repo had a bunch of .tile files, which I wasn't sure how to open. Anyways, this predates me finding this thread, and the creation of the flash embedded assets PWN'er (which doesn't explicitly require .swf files to be processed) by about a month, if I were to guess... So, I downloaded a .tile file and popped into into notepad earlier. from what I can tell, this is a custom binary format, with png data embedded within. Anyways, I downloaded all the .tile files and processed them. I'm guessing all the possible variants of the dungeon tiles are present.

Which brings me to the problems:
1 - these aren't 24x, they're 32x
2 - each image file is a single tile, NO SHEETS! Very Sad
3 - lots of what appear to be blank ones (totally transparent)
4 - not sure if ripped or custom, but in either case, they won't pass-off for real PMD tiles
5 - thousands of tiles per .tile file
6 - given these were batch-exported, nothing to easily sort the tiles (like file names or linkages/refs of any kind)
7 - I can't tell if the liquid animations are present, but a quick skim-through suggests they're not

So, what does everything else think?
I was thinking of just submitting PMU as its own game and whatnot.
But this still doesn't solve the PMD tile issue, sadly...ripping from the rom still seems necessary

That is all!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Tilesets - by Shade - 02-26-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Tilesets - by DarkGrievous7145 - 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM
RE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Tilesets - by Shade - 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Tilesets - by Shade - 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM