Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Custom character trying to gain his wings!
Big Grin 
What's up, everyone? It's my first time here, but not my first time making games. I'm raring to go, man.

This time I'm starting from the absolute beginning and creating all of my graphics from scratch. The only problem is... I've never done this before. Up to this point I've been looking at old SNES and Genesis games and following their 2D hero poses for my character, but I'm at a complete wall here in trying to make my guy's flying pose.

A little explanation: the character will be flying for essentially the whole duration of this game, so he has to look good while moving up, down, forward (speeding up), or slowing down backwards. The screen will automatically be moving forwards. To be clear, there will be 5 poses (animations): stationary (slowly moving forwards), forward (the one depicted below), back (decreasing forward speed), up (like forward, but angling his body upwards), and down (angle his body down).

Any help is appreciated. You don't know how bad I need it.

Here's the guy standing (yes, the thick, bold outline is very intentional):
[Image: aKYkU.png]

I understand that by your guys' standards it's probably pretty lacking. Yet I'm pretty satisfied with it; the game will use a certain effect for its art scheme, so I can get away with the lackluster shading. In time, though, I will perfect it. Now on to the troublesome part:
[Image: Eehw1.png]

He looks horrifically awkward. Like he's coming in and out of the 3rd dimension. I've been given a piece of advice that I should angle his head more to face forward, while still keeping both of his eyes visible; I'm currently working on that. And being that this is the main sprite that the user will see during gameplay, I need to make sure that it's absolutely perfect. You don't have to touch up the guy to make him look right, just giving me some pointers or examples to look at would be great (though touching up would be amazing). Thanks.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Custom character trying to gain his wings! - by Geou - 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM