Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
I'm shoppin' for a computer... any pointers?
Hmm, well that makes things nice and easy, I think pretty much any modern system that can run Windows 7 should have no trouble running Portal, provided it has an independent graphics card. (I remember playing it on a system that was made up of spare parts)

From the sounds of it you want a pretty standard balance going on, if you're going to buy a pre-built system, I'd suggest going bare bones.
A bare bones system is kind of like a base to build on, usually just a case, CD drive, mobo and psu, they're nice because you get the motherboard and processor pre-installed (which is the most nerve-jangling part of a build), they also normally come with a basic amount of RAM and a small HDD.
Then you can pretty much upgrade it as you need, add your own RAM, graphics card, drives and PCI cards, along with an OS of your choice.

I also prefer them because they're mostly sold by independents, rather than low budget mass-production companies like Dell or E-Machines.

Ultimately though, so long as you get a system with a half decent graphics card, and focus on your processor and RAM (tip: faster RAM is always better than just more RAM), you should be fine, with the current pricing on hardware you can probably get something much better than you imagine too.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm shoppin' for a computer... any pointers? - by PatientZero - 10-09-2011, 08:56 AM