Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Video Game Physics, Controls and Rules
Let's try this "general thread" thing out shall we? Let's discuss aspects of gaming that greatly affects the way you play a game.

Controls
I feel like the controls shouldn't be too stiff, and the movement engine should be setup in such a way that it works with the game system. For example...I feel the first Legend of Zelda's controls are way too stiff. Link walks like he's on a grid (because he is), and that kind of movement just isn't suited for that type of combat system. The same sort of problem occurs with Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy, and don't even get me started on the first StarTropics with that grid movement system. Also, the controls should be responsive and not delayed to perform actions. It's totally inexcusable to make a game where the action performs a second or two after you've already pressed the button. There are many games I could use as an example that have bad control, such as Dark Castle on the Sega Genesis and any of the Action 52 games on NES.

Physics
As for the Physics...well they shouldn't be too floaty. I can't stand it when you jump in games, and it's like...you're on the moon. Cave Story is a good example of this, even though I love the game. The objects should also have the same rules...it's really awkward to see the character push a crate or rock off of a cliff, only for it to fall like it's made of styrofoam or paper. Also the character sliding around a lot like they're on ice, even when they aren't, is also something that's awkward.

Rules
The biggest offenses to gaming with this category are long games that don't have any sort of saving system, hard games that don't have any sort of extra lives or continue system or games that simply put way too much difficulty on the game. An example of the first scenario would be Kid Chameleon on the Sega Genesis. That game is long, and although you have extra lives and limited continues, it's still rough to actually finish it in one sitting, and once you turn off your Genesis, there's no way to get that progress back. For the second scenario, Double Dragon 3 on NES is an example of that. You get a health bar that drains fast, and no continues. What some would call "extra lives" comes in the form of alternate characters who suck, except the Ninja. The guy in a business suit is totally useless and slow against faster enemies. As for the third and final scenario, Silver Surfer on NES is the ultimate example. Anything you touch instant kills you (enemies, projectiles, walls, ceilings and floors), it's impossible to tell what's background and what's foreground, what you are and aren't allowed to touch, and the game is just maddeningly difficult.

---

What sort of expectations and limitations would you place on each category? What would you consider the perfect balance and/or harmony between all three?
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: Viiper

Messages In This Thread
Video Game Physics, Controls and Rules - by Koh - 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM