Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine
(12-06-2012, 01:33 AM)SmashBroPlusB Wrote: For the community, eh... ?

Does this mean the engine is going to be somewhat accessible to lower-level Game Maker users? Or is there a bit of scripting knowledge needed?

I like how the game uses neat little visual effects for commonplace Zelda tasks like cutting a bush or obtaining Rupees from a chest. It looks pretty cool in my opinion. A lot of fan game engines try to emulate the source perfectly, which is fine, but I like how this engine takes its own direction while still remaining faithful to the source.

Oh, and you can change item names right?
Thanks~
You can do whatever you want with this XD.

(12-06-2012, 03:38 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Wow, it's looking fantastic so far! Just a couple of things I thought to point out:
  • When you get an item from a chest it doesn't say anything. It should let the developer choose a little message for each type of item (e.g. "You got 20 rupees! That's nice." or "You got the Roc's Feather! Use it to jump over gaps.").
  • When you push blocks they kind of jump ahead. They should move smoother and a tad slower, imo.
  • The little bar showing your equipped items, rupees, and health is pretty cool how it moves up and down, but it might block out important bits of the screen in some cases. Maybe it's better to just keep it up top permanently and everything else beneath it. I do like how it comes up and turns into an item screen though Big Grin

You're probably planning to do some of these already, but I thought to mention them just in case. Also remember I haven't played A Link to the Past (I really should) so these things might be completely normal, in which case you can just ignore them.

I like how you've already got those rock things sitting around, so I expect we'll be seeing a Power Bracelet soon.
Yup, the textboxes are a must on the list. I slowed the blocks down. The HUD was made a bit more transparent, but a lot of people don't seem to like the shifting. However, if they have a problem with it, they can always change that if they decide they want to mess with the engine at all. Yes the Power Bracelet/Titan's Mitt will be in soon.

(12-06-2012, 09:01 AM)Sevenstitch Wrote: Really cool, this is really neat.

I'd agree with Puggsoy and say that the block movement is a tad fast, but I'm sure that's probably a personal
choice (the blocks always have moved kind of slow imo)

As for that HUD, I understand why it does it, but could you make an option that allows for it to be fixed, and
have a key-bind that allows the player to switch it's position at will manually, so it isn't constantly bopping back
and forth like that?
Noted above x3.

(12-06-2012, 06:34 PM)Phaze Wrote: Some small advice, again on sound;

You should probably either space out the thunder or randomize the duration between each rumble (or both!); I could easily tell when it was going to thunder and it started to become difficult to watch.
It actually IS random. I just forgot to make the timer random in the reset script as well; I put a static number xD.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine - by Koh - 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM