Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites
Hence why I threw in that bit about FRAPS. In both the Genesis and SNES versions of the STrike series, as I said, they're basically straight ports because they're just as crappy. It was also how I was able to locate the background tiles and rotors pretty easily -- once I found them in the SNES port, I could go back and find them in the Genesis port.

I know preloading sprites takes up more memory, but it's to the game's benefit. I mean, I could sense a difference in gameplay between Urban Strike and GeGeGe no Kitarou: Fukkatsu! Tenma Daiou. The latter plays much more smoothly. Why? Because all of Kitarou's sprites are preloaded, all of his helper's sprites are preloaded, and for each stage all of the enemy sprites (typically only 3) are preloaded. The only thing not preloaded, understandably, are the palettes. While Urban Strike, on the other hand, tends to get choppy and have some minor slowdown. Super Metroid preloads the enemy sprites and weapon sprites, but not Samus', I've noticed. So some slowdown when Samus moves, but not as much in a heavy gunfight as in other games. So like I said, I think it's in the game's best interest to preload sprites. That and it makes it easier to rip. Big Grin

I saw that GensKmod or whatever in another post and took a look at it. You said Dazz made a mod of it? Where's that? I'll check them out, see how I like them, cuz my method has some uses but is still fairly tedious. Like I said though, it works for Urban Strike because the backgrounds are clustered neatly together (too neatly >_<).
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by TheouAegis - 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by TheouAegis - 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by feos - 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by feos - 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by Dazz - 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM