Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites
I might as well reply to this considering that I ripped a fair few Genesis games in my time and you want to know as well.

Right, tile ripping from the ROM I would use TileMolester since it is quite simple to use and it imports palettes made by DebuGens (the Tile Layer Pro format) or the regular type. However if the game is compressed that is not "Nemesis"* (there are lots of these), stored too weirdly to make out or only half the sprites there, my emulator of choice would be GensKMod using a custom one made by Dazz that uses a pink background. It displays the sprites rather like the OAM viewer of VisualBoyAdvance, it displays the VDP that you can copy and paste since the dump sprite button is broken in every release. Oh and sometimes I use GSavestate if I want to rip a background or in the case of the game uses black for everything.

* - There are some games that use the Nemesis compression dubbed by the discoverer of the format such as Sonic 1 & 2/Castle of Illusion/Mega Modem games/Pulseman/etc, there is an Nemesis Search tool that decompresses all or most of the compressed sprites of that game but you have to know command line to run it.

As for what you're saying about preloaded sprites, some Genesis/Mega Drive games mainly very early games do store all the frames of a boss or an enemy like Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Streets of Rage 2. The savestate format is official known as Genecyst format since it was the first working Genesis emulator and appeared in most emulators (Gens and offshoots like GS, KMod/Kega/Regen/DGen), however it isn't 100% compatible across emulators so you can import one made by Gens into Kega but the opposite may not work depending on game.

Your method is quite good, it seems similar to Maxim's method (except that he used GSavestate) and might even use that in some point but not the FRAPS part.

Also a word of warning, I don't think the Strike series would be easy to rip considering that it is stored weirdly in the ROM. Techokami who is a much better ripper than I'll ever be couldn't do it, he only managed one sprite and he wasn't sure that he did it correctly. I give you good luck though and will look forward to seeing it.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by TheouAegis - 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by Yawackhary - 03-25-2010, 11:41 AM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by feos - 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by feos - 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: A Tip for Ripping Genesis Sprites - by Dazz - 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM