Users browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)
Doodles and Finished Pieces
oh, ok then

still, play more with the head shapes so not everyone has thin long faces
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(10-25-2012, 01:25 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: Women in video games tend to fall into two categories: princesses who need to be rescued, or action girls who are basically just macho men with long hair and breasts. If a female character does not fall into either one of these categories, there is a good chance that you are dealing with a compelling female character.

Shanoa is a great character, in my opinion, because she embraces her femininity while never shirking from the adventure before her. She has long hair and goes into battle with historically-appropriate dresses, hats, and jewelry equipped. Although she loses her emotions early on in the game, she has no real desire to emulate the men in her life. She undertakes the challenge of defeating Dracula because it is a cause she believes in, not because she is proving herself or following the orders of men (this is especially true when she fights Barlowe). In short, Shanoa is a fully-realized character who just happens to be a woman.

Furthermore, Shanoa treats males in a believable fashion. She treats Albus and Barlowe first with respect, then with disdain (and, for Albus, respect again). At the same time, she questions every action they take. Sometimes she follows orders (track Albus) and sometimes she doesn’t (revive Dracula). She does not depend on men for anything; at the same time, she has no artificial hatred for them. When Barlowe betrays her, she strikes him down without hesitation. When she discovers Albus’s love for her, she cries and laments his fate.

Furthermore, Shanoa takes a traditionally-female video game role (the mage) and totally subverts it. While in many Japanese RPGs the protagonist is a sword-wielding man and the supporting character is a mystical woman, Shanoa fits neither of these categories. She is a mage through-and-through, but her magical abilities allow her to batter enemies with maces as well as hurl fireballs. Neither Albus nor Barlowe approach the level of sophistication and mastery Shanoa wields with sucha variety of weapons.

Also, have you seen most women in jrpgs these days? They can be a little too colorful and you got basically female protags with visual novel personality syndrome (VNPS) in which sudden mood swings and attacking the male lead (some are outright violent/abusive from the get-go) to humiliate the player character as a running gag in more in-your-face comedy SRPGs are more frequent than they should be (personally, most were probably taking cues from Lucky Star and Haruhi back when they were popular to add to some of them).

Samus in Other M is a different case entirely. She was X in X7, only female. TL;DR version: I can agree with the statement of what he said about women as video game characters.

Otherwise, nice to see you branch out from Homestuck once in awhile.
Thanked by:
Did these today.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Baegal, Gors, Gaia, Phaze, Gwen, Guy
Love the toeless foot. Statue, I assume?

[Image: kaiserclown.png]
Thanked by: Helmo, Gwen, megaMasquerain, Guy
Nope! It's just a foot, plaster cast from a statue.

By the way, I like the mouth of that character! Are you using MyPaint?
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
His name is Caesar Clown
Thanked by:
Kind of reminds me of Cruella de Vil with horns.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Gwen
(10-27-2012, 04:58 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Nope! It's just a foot, plaster cast from a statue.

By the way, I like the mouth of that character! Are you using MyPaint?

Indeed I am!

(10-27-2012, 05:35 PM)Amon Wrote: His name is Caesar Clown

Indeed it is!

(10-27-2012, 07:05 PM)Sevenstitch Wrote: Kind of reminds me of Cruella de Vil with horns.

Indeed it d--not really, seems more to me to be the love between a Homestuck troll and the Joker

Anyway, another Mypaint doodle, hidden for slight nsfw

[Image: _564741.jpg]

Was working on this on my 3DS during the summer, never quite finished it.
It's the view from my cottage
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
[Image: hOpcN.png]
playing around with designs

the one to the right is actually based on Todd from Pokemon Snap
[Image: NT3Xy.png]

Excuse my quick mouse doodle but that was my first thought Shy
[Image: majora__s_mask_by_woppet-d5juh2d.jpg]
this is a sig

(11-02-2012, 06:27 AM)Previous Wrote: [Image: NT3Xy.png]

Excuse my quick mouse doodle but that was my first thought Shy

look
LOOK

(excuse the reference Tongue)

I actually made that ref a long while before I ever saw that Dazz's ref's hat was a bucket/fisherman/whateveritscalled hat, not a fedora

(i thought it was a fedora lol)
Thanked by:
[Image: bfEfJ.png]
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Wow, Baegal! That's really cool!
Was that made in MyPaint (except for maybe the hair filters)?
Thanked by: Baegal