The VG Resource
Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? (/thread-28699.html)

Pages: 1 2

Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - LeftnRightLloyd - 02-09-2016

Post frustrating video-game levels, moments, parts, anything.
For me, the most frustrating video game level, has to be either Ridley's second fight from Super Metroid, and Quickman's stage from Megaman 2.
Quickman's stage is pretty obvious. It's just a pain in the neck, just because of the lack of checkpoints, and the LASERS!! 
Now, i'll talk about Ridley.
The only way i beat Ridley on his second fight was with Game Genie.
Either i'm really terrible at SM, or he's really, really hard to beat.
Seriously, he keeps using his tail as a pogo-stick, and you fight him at a small area with lava around it, and he keeps grabbing you when you are in the morph ball, and he keeps shooting fire at you, and if you aren't wearing the Gravity suit, you'll probably die in less than 15 seconds.
I know Super Metroid was suspossed to be challenging with all the puzzles, hidden stuff, and the bosses, Maridia, and all that, but for me, Ridley's second fight is too much.

So, in your opinion, what is/are the most frustrating video game moment(s), level(s), that you have saw?

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Arcrom - 02-09-2016

My best frustrating moment was with hearthstone when I had 4 minions on board, opponent plays unstable portal, gets Mind Control Tech for free, plays it and steal my best minion.

Other ones:

Xcom: 90% chance to hit… Miss the target

Civ V: 1 Turn left to build that world wonder, a pop-up appears saying that someone just finished it.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - psychospacecow - 02-09-2016

Run a marathon's distance in Fallout to cross the mini nuke finish line and find out the last time you saved was a week ago.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - ~Axis~ - 02-10-2016

That moment in Smash 4 for glory where you thought you read your opponent and go in for a punish.

Internet lag holds you down > Then you get creamed > Then internet lag > And then get creamed some more.

And you get killed by a meteor smash. Lagfucked lvl 99

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - psychospacecow - 02-10-2016

Getting otk'd in a card game is pretty annoying after the first couple times. At first, its pretty impressive. Afterwords, its too consistent.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Shade - 02-10-2016

Final form Sigma from Mega Man X.

Rarely do I experience a complete lack of joy when playing video games. I experienced a complete lack of joy while playing that video game.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - miyabi95_ - 02-10-2016

[Image: rugal-cvs2-specialkick.gif][Image: magaki-special6.gif][Image: Goenitz.gif]

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Dolphman - 02-10-2016

Ah, yes. SNK's infamous boss characters that are super unfair and hard to beat. The NGBC bosses were the biggest offenders.
Reading this thread's title, I was expecting the mention of Battletoads' Turbo Tunnel and Sonic 3's infamous Carnival Night Zone barrel.

Anyway, one of the frustrating things I've given up on is the carrot eating part in M&L: Bowser's Insider Story. I hated it.
In MVC3, I've only beaten it once because Galactus is overpowered and unfair for a Capcom fighter boss. More so than Abyss, I reckon.
Cinematic platform games can be a chore, like Prince of Persia, Flashback, Another world, Blackthorne, and Heart of Darkness.
Abe's Oddysee is frustrating to complete 100% when you don't want to get the bad ending. I have New 'N Tasty on my PS4 and haven't played it for a while, due to the difficulty. Still a great series though, and I hope they bring out a remake of Abe's Exoddus as Lorne Lanning confirmed.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - psychospacecow - 02-10-2016

Marie in SkullGirls is so broken that this is the strategy you use when given the reigns in the ps4 version.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Davy Jones - 02-11-2016

Undertale, last encounter in the genocide run. I gave up when the boss defeated me like 30 or 40 times and used L. Spiro's Memory Hacking Software (MHS) to slow him down. And even at 50% of the original speed I lost two times and barely defeated him on my third try.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Monobrobe - 02-11-2016

Pretty much the entirety of the Jak & Daxter series. ESPECIALLY Jak II with those bullcrap Krimson Guard guys ramming right into you and destroying your vehicle during a mission where you have to beat a time limit. And then there's the scarcity of checkpoints...
The vehicle controls were obnoxious. Suicide vehicles would ram into you and flip you over if you were on land. They swerve all over the place, too...
Don't get me started on the turrets in Jak 3. Those were quite easily the most annoying things ever. Just the slightest movement of the control stick and the marker moves all the way. It's not steady at all. I just kinda have to move and shoot and hope for the best.
I never completed any of the games because I ended up quitting out of frustration.
Granted, all this frustration was experienced on the Vita, so it could just be a crappy port. But I've been told that's not the case. And regardless of port, I don't think it would've changed those suicide drivers ruining everything for me. >_>
I think I would've had a better time if the series didn't try to incorporate so many different genres into one. At least, for the second and third games.
Either that or I really suck at... whatever the heck kind of genre Jak & Daxter is.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - miyabi95_ - 02-11-2016

every gosh darn special stage in sonic games. totally crushes my dreams of being like projirard the finishist

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - NICKtendo DS - 02-11-2016

I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Special Stages. It takes a while to get used to, but it's possible to clear them the first try, because you are given time to analyze and react, unlike a certain halfpipe that can go suck an echidna.

Besides, aside from the fact that Warp Rings are plentiful, easy to access and are worth 50 rings when all Chaos/Super Emeralds are collected, because of the save feature and ability to play levels you've beaten, you can retry them as often as you like. Even the Emerald collection progress is saved, so you don't have to get them all in one go and if you got 'em all, you didn't have to get them again. PLUS, with the aforementioned level select option, you can blaze through all zones from start to finish as Super/Hyper whatever. So satisfying!

But I'm rambling here and this is a topic about frustration. Sonic 2's Special Stages are bad. Your retries are limited, it requires sharp as fuck memory and the controls suck. Subsequent halfpipe stages aren't as bad, but still the big stinkers among Special Stages. Sonic 1's spinning maze Special Stages are tolerable.

You know what else I find frustrating? Hard levels without checkpoints or checkpoints being too far apart. This is my biggest gripe with the 3D Mario games since Galaxy. I'm not the kind of guy that enters the next level when it's available if there's shit to collect in the last.
That Fire Dino Pirahna Daredevil Run in Galazy 1? Screw that!
Champion's Road in 3D World and similar courses? Screw those too! "Oh, but the lack of checkpoints is what makes them challenging." No! That's dumb! That's bullshit! It doesn't change a thing about the level design! All it does is saving me the trouble of overcoming certain obstacles I already overcame a million times before!

I rage quit Galaxy 2 the other day. Bowser's Galaxy Generator, at the part with the Yoshi, I have to first swing across the lava to the left, beat 2 Boomerang Bros., use the Dash Pepper to run past the lava walls that are closing in on eachother, ride the snake blocks and the FUCKING BLARGG GOT ME AGAIN!!! Now I have to do all that shit AGAIN! Rinse and fucking repeat. Why do I screw up? Camera perspective. A nice little bird's eye view in my back so I can't tell how high I'm jumping or how far ahead an obstacle is that isn't grounded (that includes the Blargg, because he drops no shadow and lunges at you). You know, that's another one for my frustration list. The fucking cameras in 3D platformers.

TL;DR
Sonic 2 Special Stages suck!
Lack or scarsity of checkpoints where they're needed suck. Champion's Road and the like especially suck!
Perspective in 3D platformers sucks!

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - DioShiba - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 05:53 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: You know what else I find frustrating? Hard levels without checkpoints or checkpoints being too far apart. This is my biggest gripe with the 3D Mario games since Galaxy. I'm not the kind of guy that enters the next level when it's available if there's shit to collect in the last.
That Fire Dino Pirahna Daredevil Run in Galazy 1? Screw that!
Champion's Road in 3D World and similar courses? Screw those too! "Oh, but the lack of checkpoints is what makes them challenging." No! That's dumb! That's bullshit! It doesn't change a thing about the level design! All it does is saving me the trouble of overcoming certain obstacles I already overcame a million times before!

These are hardly at all dumb in my honest opinion.

I can understand if they're needlessly long levels where there's no checkpoint, but if you think about it what Nintendo does with long distanced checkpoints is nothing compared to some people's Super Mario Maker Levels.

If you ask me putting aside SMM bullshit, the only stupid thing I've ever come across in a Mario game is the Pachinko Machine in Super Mario Sunshine. Now that is bullshit since it's almost impossible to control where you fall to get a coin.

RE: Most frustrating game levels/moments/anythings? - Koh - 02-11-2016

The Wiegraf Solo Battle in Final Fantasy Tactics. Fantastic game that is a must play for any gamer, to see how deep and believable games can be, despite being fantasy. However, it does have its frustrations like any other game out there. This is one of them. Any inexperienced player will probably get stuck here the first time they play, and have to start the game all over again, this time taking extra care to build their team properly, as well as make use of backup save files.