The VG Resource
Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Help me! (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-137.html)
+--- Thread: Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone (/thread-27619.html)

Pages: 1 2

Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone - Virt - 08-19-2015

When I'm on a Skype call, sometimes my computer microphone gets muted automatically. I'm fairly certain that it's Skype causing it somehow, but it's not only in Skype.
[Image: 9H7sg1R.png]
This is what it usually looks like, but it randomly goes to this:
[Image: Hkve2It.png]

Does anyone know what's going on?

RE: Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone - Petie - 08-19-2015

Assuming it only happens when Skype is running and you're in an active call, you can try disabling the auto-mic adjustments in Skype's preferences. It could be that it's picking something up that it detects as very loud and compensates by lowering your input volume until it normalizes. Since I doubt you're talking from an active construction site while sitting on a jack hammer, this loud "noise" it hears is likely feedback and it doesn't normalize until the input is completely disabled. I can't think of any other cause but if this fixes it, you may want to look into replacing your headset/mic.

RE: Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone - Virt - 08-19-2015

Skype's auto adjust settings are off. It happens with both my computer's internal mic and a separate USB mic.

Is it only during Skype calls though or does it also happen at random? Is there maybe a button or keyboard shortcut on your computer (probably only applicable if it's a laptop) that you might be hitting by mistake?

It's not only during Skype calls, so I guess it's not Skype's fault. And no, it just randomly happens even when I'm not doing anything. No keyboard shortcuts or buttons anywhere.

In your running process list, do you have any svchost.exe entries running under your username (or any account that isn't SYSTEM)?

Nope. I do not.

A bit of research shows that this is most often caused by malware of some sort. I'd run a full scan with Malwarebytes and then, if the problem persists, ComboFix. The lack of rogue svchosts makes this a little less likely though. In the mean time, can I get the make and model of your computer? Could be something model-specific that will be easier to find with the right search terms. Driver updates for the audio hardware and any utility buttons on the computer may also help.

I have a Latitude E6400. Evidently other people with this laptop build have this problem, too, but I don't know what the solution is.

Okay, I checked with the model and I'm not seeing a trend to suggest that this is a model-specific issue. I'd go ahead with the virus scans and driver updates (you can get them from support.dell.com - just search using your service tag which should be on the bottom of the laptop).

Well now it SAYS it's muted but people on Skype can still hear me. I'm very confused but it seems like the problem is fixed...?
What I did is try to install a new driver from the Dell website, but it says it failed.

So.........

Make sure you're downloading the right version for your computer. There are often 32 and 64-bit drivers available. Putting in your service tag will bring you to the correct download page but you'll need to make sure it auto-detects the right OS. Though, I suppose if it's working and just not displaying correctly, maybe it's better to just leave well enough alone.

Yeah, I put in the service tag and there was only one download option available.

I'll just leave it alone for now. If it's a trouble again later, I'll have to find another solution but I'll stick with this for now.

Nevermind, I restarted my computer and now it's broken again. I don't know what to do.

RE: Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone - psychospacecow - 08-19-2015

I don't know what to tell ya. Skype seems to run on just about everything now though, so there's that.