The VG Resource
Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? (/thread-26553.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - TheGamedawg - 01-24-2015

This has happened a couple of times, but basically there are a few games which I decided to hunt down and actually play simply because I liked the sprites I saw of it on this site. Mostly because either the artstyle of the sprites or it was about a game series I liked in which that particular installment I've never heard. Anyone else with similar stories?

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Koopaul - 01-24-2015

This should probably be in the Gaming section. Not General Discussion.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Gors - 01-24-2015

Koopaul is right, however /i like this discussion. I'll move and comment:

I don't remember playing a game because of its sprites, but I know games I tried because of its music. This goes for Outrun, Streets of Rage II, Super Hang-On and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Those are really good games with amazing soundtrack. I miss classic SEGA...

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - BullockDS - 01-24-2015

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is probably the biggest example on my behalf, but I've admittedly been trying out most of the X68000 games I've been playing recently based on graphics (especially Geograph Seal; which, by the way, is a fucking awesome game... it kinda looks like the SNES Star Fox, but runs way smoother).

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Davy Jones - 01-24-2015

Eternal Filena was the trigger for playing the game, but I also intended to rip from it.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Koopaul - 01-24-2015

I discovered Shantae through a sprite sheet I saw years ago. I got curious and decided to play it.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Dazz - 01-24-2015

Plenty. More than I can even name at this point. I intend to simply rip from them but then get hooked.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Goemar - 01-24-2015

God so many... Shantae, Little Samson, Moon Crystal, Gimmick!, Metal Slug, Rendering Ranger, Demon's Crest - just to name a few.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Shade - 01-24-2015

(01-24-2015, 02:40 PM)Dazz Wrote: I intend to simply rip from them but then get hooked.
This sums up my answer for this thread.

Thanks VGR for introducing good games to me because I wanted to rip things.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Helmo - 01-24-2015

Mr.Gimmick is so bootiful q_q

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - TheYoshiState - 01-24-2015

None that I specifically remember, but I may have.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - Dolphman - 01-25-2015

Majority of arcade games i wanted to check out due to their graphics. Especially due to being superior to their console ports.
And i do mean superior, compare most of Sega, Konami and Capcom's arcade games to the ported versions.

There's also Heretic and Hexen, two fantasy FPS games sharing the same universe. Helps that it was built with the DooM engine.
And of course Strife, the last DooM engine game made. Even better now it's being re-released on Steam and Humble Bundle (GOG too possibly)

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - ~Axis~ - 01-25-2015

Kirby Super Star Ultra. The incredibly tough pink puff looks cuuuute on that game! Cute

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - puggsoy - 01-25-2015

I did see Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero sprites on here once, I didn't look at any sprites closely but the icons looked cool so I intend to play it sometime. Sometimes I do look at sprites of games I've played before though, which make me want to play them again.

I have started to generally appreciate sprites in games more since I started ripping. And when looking at game trailers/screenshots/whatever, I pay more attention to the graphics than before. I used to be largely focused on the gameplay more than anything else.

RE: Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites? - E-Man - 01-25-2015

Gee, now which Mario RPG left a lasting impact on me with it's art style and story to the point that I'm even attempting to emulate that kind of experience for myself? Tongue