The VG Resource
Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! Now on New 3DS WOAH! - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! Now on New 3DS WOAH! (/thread-25396.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Chaoxys - 08-14-2014

Honestly, I'd be cool with a female Link. I mean, the idea is the the spirit of the hero is passed from generation to generation or whatever, not their gender, so the idea of one of the holders of courage being female isn't impossible. Honestly though the best bet would be to simply allow the player to select a gender from the beginning.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Jermungandr - 08-14-2014

Also not every Zelda game has featured a Link bearing the Triforce of Courage.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Kriven - 08-14-2014

(08-14-2014, 08:55 PM)Drshnaps Wrote: Also not every Zelda game has featured a Link bearing the Triforce of Courage.

I think that's going to be a difficult thing to prove unless one of the games specifically mentions the fact that its particular incaration of Link does not bear the Triforce of Courage.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Jermungandr - 08-14-2014

I probably could have worded that better. The point is that whether or not Link does have the Triforce of Courage is not always a significant plot point; to the point that there are many games where it is not even speculated. It is mostly only a significant detail in stories actually involving Ganondorf. There is no reason it couldn't just be glossed over in the scenario being discussed here.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Kriven - 08-14-2014

Along those lines (and forgive me if I don't have everything straight) but didn't the Link from the original Legend of Zelda not receive the Triforce of Courage until The Adventure of Link? Meaning he was already heroic prior to receiving the Triforce, as opposed to being born with it?

Same deal with both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker; in both games Link didn't receive the Triforce until late in the game.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Paladin - 08-15-2014

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Vipershark - 08-15-2014

(08-14-2014, 10:43 PM)Drshnaps Wrote: Same deal with both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker; in both games Link didn't receive the Triforce until late in the game.

That doesn't mean he didn't receive it though. Even if you don't say anything about it at first, at some point you're going to have to reveal that it's Zelda after all and suddenly it's an issue.

It seems kind of dumb not to just give Zelda her own game rather than try to replace Link with her and not say anything about it for a while.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Jermungandr - 08-16-2014

That statement was in response to Kriven without regard to the earlier conversation; it was meant not as a point but just a statement of fact. But regardless, yes I would much prefer a game where you actually get to play as Zelda rather than having the game designers trying to trick you with a phoney Link.

While a game simply featuring Zelda as the main protagonist would be cool and I would totally invest in it, my ideal situation would be a game with two separate but intertwining story lines for Link and Zelda. When you start a new save file you'd have the option to play as either character and play through their side of the story.

The important thing in this situation is that Zelda's story needs to be treated with the same exact respect as Link's, and not treated as a "side story". Both arcs need to have the same amount of content, both with the same number of full dedicated dungeons, and both with as close to the same amount of play time as possible. And the dungeons need to be fully unique for each character, none of this "it's the same dungeons but slightly different due to their different abilities" bullshit.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Kriven - 08-16-2014

(08-16-2014, 07:22 PM)Drshnaps Wrote: The important thing in this situation is that Zelda's story needs to be treated with the same exact respect as Link's, and not treated as a "side story". Both arcs need to have the same amount of content, both with the same number of full dedicated dungeons, and both with as close to the same amount of play time as possible. And the dungeons need to be fully unique for each character, none of this "it's the same dungeons but slightly different due to their different abilities" bullshit.

You would have them both utilize the puzzle-solving dungeon mechanics instead of broadening their terms of play?

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Jermungandr - 08-16-2014

Not necessarily. What I meant is I don't want to see a lazy set-up of "oh it's the exact same dungeon but Zelda can sometimes take a different route because of this ability that Link doesn't have". I want truly unique dungeons for each character so it feels like Zelda is truly on her own adventure and not an alternate character of Link with a flimsy story excuse laid over top. Zelda is welcome to have a completely different mechanic from Link as long as it feels like there is an equal amount of unique content for both stories.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Terminal Devastation - 08-16-2014

I think a lot of people here are discounting how much the right execution of what you believe you might not want could make something better than what you want.

For example: Just making a bunch of completely unique dungeons for each character could be LAZIER than having two characters share dungeons. It's basically having two games in the same setting with different characters. Its a lot of work to do that...
but designing a shared dungeon well probably takes a lot more work per dungeon, assuming Zelda plays differently.
The shared dungeons might have another advantage if Zelda (for any reason) has to tackle them in a different order than Link. Say when Zelda's takes on one of Link's early dungeons, not only does she have to solve puzzles and change route due to a different ability, but she has to deal with all the stuff Link moved around so he could get through it.

The Zelda is Link concept has some neat things as well, that just plain old girl link wouldn't have. Girl link? Doesn't necessarily add or subtract anything from the game.
Now playing as Zelda (openly or as a Zelda Link) automatically ask the questions, why not Link? Is Zelda just being more involved than usual? Is link not available for some reason?
A normal Zelda would have different skills altogether (making it more interesting (usually), while a Zelda-Link would likely be using Link's gear... but she might use them in a more Zelda like way.

I like to think that a Zelda Link scenario would involve the previous Zelda being dead, but the previous Link (holder of the Triforce of Courage) being elderly, thus it would fall on the current gen Zelda to pick up the Link role. I don't know, I think there's some decent story to be had here. If done right that is. Should be a darn good reason for any Zelda playing, and especially for a Zelda Link.

Well it's just my opinion of what I think the most perfect scenario would be. Honestly I'd buy it no matter how they decided to pull it off.

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Kriven - 08-16-2014

It might be neat if some future game gave one character the classic Zelda experience while another character handled more political aspects using a Dynasty Warrior type of gameplay...

RE: Waifu Warriors: Featuring Link from the Legend of Zelda series! - Maxpphire - 08-17-2014

How I feel about female Link: hehe her name is Linkle, that's a IIDX getit because 19th style was named Lincle HAHAHA I ONLY THINK ABOUT BEMANI GAMES WHO CARES ABOUT OTHER VIDEO GAMES, NOT MEEEEEEE

That being said the adventures of Zelda herself in her own game would 've hella rad.