The VG Resource
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread (/thread-20507.html)

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Ran Master 27 - 04-17-2014

(04-17-2014, 10:39 PM)Zadaben Wrote: The palette is in my post above
it's the one in the B section
also you don't need to use my yellow in your sprite, that's just an addition to the palette replacing one of the redundant browns
the only part concerning you specifically is part B.

Actually, I* could probably squeeze in your new shade of yellow in, do you mind posting your preferred additional Palette?

I'll need to see it to make a work around in the palette.

Actually, I have a better Idea, since I've started a ripple of change effect.
I'm going to propose a rule.

Rule:
Any character should be allowed their own additional 3 colors if needed, and if added, should be posted on their sprite sheet, when submitting.
[Image: TSR_FR_Add_Palette_3x3_zps9e77ceb3.gif]

Additonal colors that are added, should be in a separate 3x3 Palette Box, and next to the Universal Gors Palette.

Something like this:
[Image: TSR_FR_Add_Palette_Full_zps4ab874c7.gif]

Reason:
I have seen some issues where some characters colors aren't portrayed correctly, or use colors that simply don't exist in the Universal Gors Palette.

So maybe if this rule sticks, the creator of each character can Quality Control their own additions of shade to their characters. WHILE, not jeopardizing the Original Gors Palette.

This way, It can solve the issue enabling people to fully portray their OC's correctly, and feel content about the finished results.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - recme - 04-17-2014

eeh this wouldnt be such a good idea since most people would just stick to their own palette. every sprite would look out of style with the color changes and stuff. everyone seems to be pleased with the palette as of now, but this request sounds like it would just please you only. just stick to the palette and make your sprite with it.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Crappy Blue Luigi - 04-17-2014

this is totally unnecessary, man. i'm all for approved additions to the palette to cover colors that don't currently exist on it, but the idea behind the palette was to make sprites for this project A) uniform and B) easy to make (it keeps people from floundering on what colors to use: the choices are right in front of you!)

instead of worrying about having the perfect colors, you need to settle.

here, take a look at my old sprite for crappy:
[Image: Xl3C5go.png]
he used to have purple-ish overalls. when i came back to this sprite recently to retool it, i saw that color as being too inaccurate to how i color crappy nowadays. so i changed it over to pure blue:
[Image: owLkUDZ.png]
and at first it was a pretty drastic change! it took a bit of getting used to once i did it, but now i can see it was for the better. the saturated look just fits a lot better with this game's style.

i think, if you're going to add anything, the darker skin tones are fine. you can make an argument for that; the palette is a bit biased toward whiter skin colors. but man, the rest is not going to add a whole lot, and we certainly don't need extra colors per character. that would just obliterate the need for the palette in the first place.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Tellis - 04-17-2014

I don't think that's a very smart idea. The idea of the uniform palette is to create unity and to keep people from accidentally going and making something that looks entirely out of place. I don't want to like, put anyone down but I don't trust everyone on this forum to make fitting color choices. Additionally, holy crap, I could make most of my character's sprites using JUST three hues/nine new colors. A lot of people can. Nine colors is A LOT.

That said, I do support the varying up of skin tones, personally I didn't think they had much contrast before. And the browns are nice but... maybe not AS necessary.

Oh, and I'm TOTALLY down for more yellows so I can make my flowing yellow scarf EVEN BRIGHTER. Plus, you know... diversifying redundant colors might be nice!

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Ran Master 27 - 04-17-2014

I understand that's exactly why Gor's Master Palette was made in the first place.

But as a secondary suggustion since I got approval of the skin tones and additional browns, why jeopardize the original palette when could set a side a few extra colors of their own.

The issue at hand is that people would LOVE more "yellows" or "browns" but incorperating them in the master palette and getting approved colors will constantly change the master palette, and making it almost a hassle to keep updated with new approved colors.

So, to propose an idea to solve variety issues, we could allow people a slot of 9 spots they can use up to concoct their own colors to fill their desired appearance.

You even got approval, Blue Luigi, of getting a nice turquoise added in, but when what happened, the whole Master Palette got revised.

When I got approved of the new brown tones, I had to revise the whole Master Palette. =/
So instead of doing so, we could just add the idea of a custom side palette of 9, to keep things in compromise.

That way*, the original palette can stay "uniform" and if necessary colors that need to be added, can be added separately.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Crappy Blue Luigi - 04-17-2014

i'm saying we don't need to continually add more colors. the palette is fine as-is, though having more diverse skin tones and changing the redundant brown shade would be cool.

i asked gors about adding the teal to the palette because the only color options i had were really untrue to the original character--gatsby is neither blue nor green. it's the addition of a new color from the spectrum.

NOTABLY, if gors had said no, i would've just lived with either not including gatsby or making him blue. at this point, i'm regretting having added those colors to the palette because it's starting to create the idea that it's cool to just add more and more to the palette. we really don't need extra shades for existing hues like blue or brown.

if it's causing any issue, i'd rather just revert back to the old palette.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Ran Master 27 - 04-18-2014

And thus, before things get out of hand, I'd prefer we'd draw our lines to what our options CAN be.
So we won't have to deal with issues.

I personally think, if it motivates people to sprite, it's usually a good thing.

Simply adding your own colors that you would LOVE to see in your sprite shouldn't be a big problem, especially if it isn't there. The idea of the new side palette doesn't even discourage spriters to use the existing Gorsal Palette.

I personally like the palette, its simple, and had a very well worked 3 shaded system going on.
But for those that need a distinct "yellow, blue, or brown". Just put on to the side and test it out.

It's really no biggy, but if you aren't confident with the kind of colors you can create, please use the original palette.
That's pretty much it.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - ERORR - 04-18-2014

T̅ͣ͑̍ͩ͌̎͂̓ͨ̌ͩͣ͋͐̑͑͊̚҉̡̛͎̦̖̮͍̬̯̖̥̟̣̥͖͍͘͞ͅͅH̵̨̯̦̲͍̾̅̂͒ͧ͌̓͘̕͢I̸͈̟̮̣͎͔̯̩͖̤͓̅ͯ͆̐ͬ͗ͩ̋̓̔̊́̚S̵̵̞̲̱̝̬͖̬͍̈́̃͛̈̔͑ͮ͐͂͘͡ ̸̛̥̖̜̹̯̥̘̼̦͉͉̖͖̠͔̭̹̖͒͌̉͆̈͑̽̑͂̚͢͠I̶̴͆͛̐͊̌ͩ̃́̆ͤ̈́ͧ͠͏̗̜̻͚̜͔͍͜S̶̢̛̛̜̗͖̭͉̗͚̭̹͎̏ͧ̏̽ͧ̇̎̿̒͊ͬͤ͐ͨ̑͒̔͝ ̽̓ͤ̉͐́͟͏̵̷̘̱͚̘̤̥̺̪̟͖̰̬͈͖̥͈̝͜A̷̡̺̻̻͈̯͓̫͇̣̬̲̬̰̟͇̥̗͙ͫ͐͑͊̈͘͡ͅ ̡̡̥̲̦̮̦̪̺͖͇̰͓͋͗̽̐̉ͭ̏̈̀̒̎̿̆̽̀͘ͅV̷͉͓͓̜̼̙̱̩̯̰̻̖̓ͣͪ̾ͮ̄̑ͨ͐̅̆͌̈͜͟͟͡È́̈́͛̂͗̈́ͬ̒̒͋̎́͏̵̼͔͍̹͓̦̘̳̻͝R̛͎̯͔͚͓̣̝̞͙̳͕̊̈̌̈́ͮ͌͢Y̷̧͖̬̭̹̭̘̯̩̤͍̘̖͙͕̗̞̠̮̅͐ͥ͌̊͌͛͜͢͞ ̍̽̽̓ͧͦ͆̄ͮ͏̸͓̹̥͈͙̤̟̱N̶̡͍͓͈̩͔̻̺̭̲̗̳̤͔̠̫̻̪̭̼̄̿̓͌̐̃ͪͤ̿̌̿͐ͨͯ̐̔̏̊̄͟͡I̋̆͂͞͏̶̯͚̭͕͘C̊̋ͨ̓̓̀̋͏̶̢̦̲̞̺͓͔͓̭̮͕̣͎͞E̹̣̞̻̜̲̤̹ͥ̓ͫͨ̂͑͗̀́͟ ̸̨ͯͫͣͪ̉̓͞҉͙̦̗̬̺̫̝͉̱͖̻̙̺͖̘̟P̾̐̃̽͗̈́͋̀̕҉̘̫̱̤̯̦̖͖͎̣̦̞͓͔͓ͅR̵̸̯͙͚̫͐̒̊ͣͭ̄̋̌͂͛̀͋̽̾̄́̀O̮̱̙͖̺͓̥̼̩̭̯̺̰͙̙̠̝̤ͫ͋̔ͮ̂͂̃͐̐̊̎̿̀̀J̵̴̓ͥ͐̉̓̋̈́͂̎͊ͫ̕҉͓̯̼͙̯̦͉̮̠̲̙̯͖̬̺̺Ẹ̻̗̤̦̆̐̋͋̀͌͗ͥͣͯ̚͜͞C̷̦̙̻̙̠̱͎̪͐́̐ͩͬ̔̄ͦ͒̑̅̾ͥ̍̌ͫ̑͞Ť̸͇̤̺̤͇̣̳̫̼̱̩̺̥͈̱͓̫̗͓̉͗̽͆͒́ ̱͇̯̬͓͓͈̲̟̦͍̼͌̅͛̔̅̑̋͒̔͆̅̍̇̍́̏̀͘Y̘̩͖̹̹̪̥͆̋͒͗̑ͩ͋̓͆͛̐ͥ̍̄ͭ̋ͯͮ́̕͢͝O̸̧̫̠͇̖͉̙͖̲̹͕̜͔̖̺̮͇̥̥̣͛ͦ͐ͣ̓̏ͬ͋̉͊̍ͬU̴̟̳̦͇̖̫̞͍͓̠̘͚̞̖̜͚̥̓̉̄ͥ͞ ̡ͪ͋̈́͊ͨ͌̇̂ͭ̽̀̓̾͊͊͒͛̓̈͏̶̬͙̘̣̥̼̮̯̤̮̟̲͍̀̕G̸̢̱̤̻͕̪͕͎͍͍͐̄̄ͧͨ̿͒̌ͧ̈̊ͧͤ̎̔̐͛̚̕͟͜O̹̪̺̘̓̊͂ͧ̐͆̐ͪͧ̑͢͡T̴̶̨̛͍̞̪̰͈̝̳̫̯͉̩̦̤͈̻̯̫ͩͮ̑̔̄́͆̑ͅ ̡̧̹̮̝͈̥͕̖͉̦̼͓̝͇̰͒͋̓̇͗͗ͭ̏ͧ͂̆̃ͬ͊͜ͅH̗̙̳̲̱̗͙̯͎̦̹̩͕̹̰̩̦̮̏̏ͩͤ͋̿̇̽ͪ͐͛͌ͨ́ͩ͑̀̚͘͠ͅE̢̧̘͙͔̭̭̟̝̠̱͈̭̖̘͈̯̯̞ͪ̏͂͋̑̒͝ͅŘ̘͉͙͓̰͇̅ͨ̇̍̄ͫ̇͑̔͢͞E̸̡̠̝͍̪̰̰̮̳ͤ͑̏͋̊̑͐͌̀̏͡,̸̯͈̯̞̥͔̻͉̯̣̗̩̪̹͇͔̿ͣͮͦͧ̋̂ͦ̏ͥ̑̂̀ͅ ̶̰̳̤̮̖͓͑̀̄̾̑̋͐͗ͬ͒̆͂̊ͨͯ́̕J̴̮̘͇̟̰̉̾ͥͭ̂ͯ͒͆̾̾̕͝ͅU̸͉̖̲͇̣̝̠̼̟͕͍̐͛̒̌̂̾̕Š̢ͤͪͤͮͥ̄ͦ͆̈́ͭͨ́́͠҉͇̲̲̫̻̗̠͖̳̥͇Ţ̴̡̠͕̦̪̹͎̺̹ͤ͛ͣͯ̓̅̎ͤ ̷̵̠̺̩͈̖̉́̅̇͂ͨ̉͐̾ͬ̋̓ͯͮͨ͂ͬ̂͒͝͞W͓̯̪̲͕̝̥̱̥̣͚͈͈̜̲̠̜͍̍͑̅ͪͩ̔̓̌́̊̌͊́Ơ̸͔̻̗̘̰̼̫̠̔ͬ̅͆̍́̄ͪͩ̋͂̓̀ͅN̡̨̛̬̜̠̞̥̭̗͎̞̟̱̬͖ͪ̓̍̾̇ͥ̋ͤ̏̾̽ͦ̀͗̈̍ͬ̚ͅD̶̡̮̝̲̳̥̙͈͇ͬͨ̓͊ͥͩ̅͂͆̾ͫ͂̀́͛̍́͟E̛̪͓̟̰̘̝̲̠̫͖̦͕̬̬̜̥̽̏ͥ̀̑ͮ̐͑̏͗̑͗ͫͣͨ̌ͣ̄͠R̴̡̨̛̼͇̝̠̣͈̞̭̫͙͕͇̓̄̆̄̂͊̂̇͆̇̂̈́͑ͤ̍̓͌͢ͅI̶̸̢̧̗͖͉̩͇̱̥̱̫̙̟̗̠̥̼̞̒̎ͯ̄ͨ́ͅN̴̴̰̼̼̼̟͉̩̜͙̭͖͓̹̱̣͇̖̗ͨ̀̒̈́ͧ͌͛̅ͮ̐͋̀̂́͌̏̚G̴̛̛̺̜͖͉͚̗͕̞͎̟̝̹̘͗ͮͯͪ̍̿̊̐͊͡ ̟͕̻̯̬̣̭̘͖̖͚̗͓̤̼̋̈́ͥͮͬ̽̈̀̑͘͠Hͥ̓ͫ̇͑̊̍̆̉͌҉̣̥͕̦͚̫Ó̻͎̮̞̯̭̗̰́͌̈̒̀͌̅̎͆ͣ͟͞ͅW̶̢̯͍̗̱̦̺̤̝̹̱ͮ̋͛̓̈́̎̅͌̑̓̚̚͢͠ͅ ̛ͪͯ̅͆͂͏҉̳̭̜̬̙͈̮͍̝̘Mͪͫͦ͗̀͟͡҉̩̩̥̰̞̬͈̼Ủ̢͚̹͓͉͍͈͕͔̠̰̺͈̰ͧ̀ͪ̇̑̍͊̋͑͡C͛͆ͭ̓̊̈́̈͏̢̞̪͍̼͚̟́Ḩ̶̶̴̘̪̦̙̦̹̻̩̭͇͇̻̙̇͌̐̚̕ ̶̡̦̭̣̍̋́̅̈͑̏͘P̸ͧ͊͊̒̓͒͑͑͊́͌ͨ̂̀ͬͥ̑ͣ̀͏̴̻̣̻̞̼̺͖̺̞̗̻͇̜̖̖́͘R̢̨͈̖̹͍͕̤̮͔̖̮̼̟͚͇͍̮̱̿͒̇ͣͧ͊͘̕͡Ŏ͕̰̮̼̜͓͔̲̣̪̦̩̖͐ͫ̄ͦ͗̆͐ͤ̌͟͠ͅG̴̢̡͖̲̤͓̲̘͖̭̹͔͗͛̈ͥͭͧ́̂͋̚̚͝R̛͖͓̮͔̪̺̻̗̄ͭ͌ͨ̍ͩ̍̉̌̇̏͐ͨ̆ͣ͋̀È̶̶̷͈͎̼̳̱̬͍̱͙̭̟ͪ̒̐ͨ̊̉̒̄ͯ̍̉̆̂̆ͪ́̚̚͟S̷̼̳͖̺̘̤͚̪̍ͮ̽͐̈́ͩͬ̈͑ͣ͊ͯ̉̔̽̚͟Ṣ̳̰ͫ͂̎̍͛͐ͫ́̓̆ͬ̈́͂̊͑͗ͥ̓ͬ͢͢ͅ ̨̰͚̘͎̯̺͙̦͎̘͇͖͕̥͕̟͍ͤ̎͋͋ͮ͒̉̀͜͜Ŷ̸̸͍̞̺͙̰͓̻͔͈̞̦̺͓̩͙͙͓̭̖̒̋̇̚̕O̶̵̡̗̞͉̼͇̻̯̬͍͕͙͚̗͉̳̫͚͋̌͋̃̉̎͆ͫ̾̌̐̏͐̑̏̃͌̓̀͠ͅͅU̧̘̻̻̹̖̣̟̲͖̯͈̲̗̺ͥ̽̾̾̄͂̇͛ͤ̒̾ͬ͐̾̎̃̅́ͅ ̶̖͙̠̬̻͔̪̤ͣ̏͗͋̌̆̊̆͐̍̚̚Ģ̷͓̣̳̟̗͉̺͖̰͕͛̉̐͒ͯ̎ͧ̃̀̒͟͢͠O̴̶̓̑̄ͤ͒ͣ҉̩͙̤̪͍̙͖͕̫̰͖̞͚̤̠̠̣Tͪ͋ͮ̒̓ͣ̀ͨ̌̿ͣ̌ͩͫ͌͊͌͏̧̘̫̣͔̦͟͡ ̛̫̳̯̯ͣͧ͒͗͋̿̏̄̒ͦͣͤ́ͪ̑͐͘̕͝T̵ͣ̓ͪ̎̄ͣͨ̓̿̃ͫͬ̓̓͂̽͟͢͏̱̩͉̲̫̤H̨̧̽ͯ̅̇̄͑͒͂̔͋҉̪̲̭̗̥̘͞Ę̴̷̯̩͔̼͖̮̰̦͉̦̝͉̥̣̅̉ͧ̈ͫ̅ͭ̌̐́̔̒̕͞R̡̧͚̺̖̙͉̬̟̥̊͊ͫ͆ͪ̾ͥͣ͐̏ͯͥ̉̓̐̚ͅẺ̵͇̮̰͙̗̤̲̳͙͙̼̱̩̃̊ͫ͛̕?̄ͮ̓̔͊̊̑̀͛̃̉̌ͦ͗͡͏͉̝̙̻̹͉̟̼̟̫̙͈̹͔̺̱͔͢

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Ran Master 27 - 04-18-2014

"This is a very nice project you got here. I wonder how much progress you got here?"

Umm... You might want to get that fixed.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - [robo9] - 04-18-2014

Enough to where I don't want you to touch it, in fear of infecting something and causing me to start over again Wink

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Crappy Blue Luigi - 04-18-2014

i was gonna wait to post these until i'd finished the frozen sprites too, but i've been too lazy to actually do that, and i've been holding onto these for a long while. i'm letting them go; i can't coddle them at home anymore. they need to be free.

[Image: cwHRTel.png]

crapsman versions coming some other time

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - ERORR - 04-18-2014

(04-18-2014, 12:13 AM)Ran Master 27 Wrote: "This is a very nice project you got here. I wonder how much progress you got here?"

Umm... You might want to get that fixed.
M̴͢͞y͏͞ ̨͡c̷̶͘óm̶͟p͢͡u̢͠t̀́͝er ̛̛͝i̡͡ś ̵̡p̧r̨e͞t͘t͏̕y m͢͏͠uc͏h́ ̡̀͝g̕҉l̕i̸̧t͜͠c͘͘h͡e̡d̶̡ ́u̸p͏ q̶ù̀i̵̡̕ţ̸͟è ̶͢t́́e̡rr̸ib̡͢l̛͜͞y҉̷.̀͠ ̷̧͢Í͢t͞ ̸͢͜h͟͟a̷͘s͞ ͟mà͠d͜e̶ ̡͠t͞h͢͜e ̛͞t̴͟͡e͘x̶҉t͝҉ ̀t̢̕͢ò ͠h͘á͜v͝ȩ ͏͏s̴̡t̢҉͠r͠a͟͝n̨̢g̢͢e͢҉ ̷̵s̨͝t̕͠u̷f͠f̢̛ ̷͘o͘n͏̶ ̴̛͢i̛t͝҉.́͜ ̧̛̀I͟ ̨͏c̶͟͢a͠͝n̷̢͠nò͟t͜҉ ̷́d̨́o ͝a͏n̨y͏͏t͏h̛͜͞i̕n҉g̸ ̡ab͜͝o͞ųt̷͡ ́it͝͝,̴͜ ̵̨̛e͏v͞͡e̕҉ǹ̡͢ ҉t͡͝h̴o͘͠u̸͞g͏̴h͡ ̵̴̢I̛ ̧͜s̴̛e̴nd i̴̸t̀͡ t͢͜͠o ̴r͞ep̡̕a͡i͝r͠ ҉҉cent͡e҉r̵̀.͡

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Level 1 - 04-18-2014

Yeah, with a name saying "Erorr" I will totally believe that.
Also, not to mention that anybody can do that using this website. If I were you, I'd sop doing that, because you will get either warned, or banned for it.

Yo Crappy, the burned sprite looks great, though I feel like the mustache could show more emotion that he was on fire, maybe a flame on the tip of the stache.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Chris2Balls [:B] - 04-18-2014

To be honest, if we really wanted to make the palette better, it would need to be completely revised.
While I do see the point of the discussion on the palette, it would mean re-doing all the previously finished sprites, which - funnily enough - were made regardless of the palette's constraints. I think that we should focus more on making sprites instead of giving ourselves excuses to not start them. It's easy to talk about working and what we could do, but what we really want is to at least see them done here, and soon enough, see them in a stable build of the game.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Gors - 04-18-2014

Hey hey hey

let's stop this wild colorfest here before making sprites

Let me parrot a lot of (correct) people to make up my post:

Quote:the palette exists for a reason; it helps make the sprites look uniform beyond the stylistic choices of the outline and shading.
Quote:if we really wanted to make the palette better, it would need to be completely revised.
While I do see the point of the discussion on the palette, it would mean re-doing all the previously finished sprites, which - funnily enough - were made regardless of the palette's constraints.
Quote:colors should only be added when there is absolutely no substitute.

This being said, I did not lock the palette permanently to what it was when the project started. I had added orange for Angie back then. Teal has been added for Gats. And I let you add additional brown hues. I will let you add colors to the main table as long as the hue is not in the current palette.

I think that some of you are looking too hard at the colors instead of, well, using them to your advantage. As a pixelartist, the NES has even more limited hues and people seem to be using it without any problem. Why is that TFR, which is a lot more lax and broader with options, doesn't have 'enough colors'?

This being said, this is the last revision I'll be doing for the pallete for the time being.

[Image: 8G2UPAF.png]

Changes:

1- ADDED ANOTHER YELLOW COLUMN! That's great, isn't it? Now you have -really bright yellow- to be used in your sprites Big Grin
2- All the edits and additions made by other people (CBL, Ran) are kept. Ran's brown was moved to the 'gray area' (to the right) due to its unsaturated-ness: can be used for hued gray objects.
3- Removed the -redundant brown- shade. Now it is a -dim yellow- to complement the new yellow column.
  • OBS: There is no need to change your sprite if it used old brown. Just pretend you're using the remaining identical color. They were too identical to even matter anyway.
4- Minor swap: now the purple's darkest shade changed places with blueish gray's darkest shade. Makes more sense now imo. The colors were kept intact.
5- Another minor swap, now orange comes after tan skin color. No color was changed otherwise.

Compare with the old one:

[Image: 8G2UPAF.png] <- NEW

[Image: TSR_FR_Master_Palette01_zps8ae68421.png] <- OLD