The VG Resource
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread (/thread-20507.html)

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - triptych - 07-01-2012

yep, that's fine that you don't want to go with a more cartoony style, after all there are a few humans in this style that are sized more like yours. like i said, i simply made that edit to show you something you should be going for 'shading' wise

speaking of, you're still shading too much. you've got the right idea with this latest rendition, but you're still not following the same techniques as the other sprites in this style. they're already there and finished for you, use them as a reference!

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Sengir - 07-01-2012

I'd like to point out that the way 1up (xXx HtE xXx) is giving crit is how everyone should be doing it.

He's not ripping the art/artist to shreds and he's not sugar-coating. He's showing examples of how he thinks the idea would best be represented in the style that the artist is going for.
And when the artist isn't implementing his advice very well or even ignoring it he's not getting angry and is still giving positive advice.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Vipershark - 07-01-2012

Seconded.
It's great to see good C+C like that, especially from someone like 1up who knows what he's doing.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Virt - 07-01-2012

[Image: QkJkn.gif]
I'm probably gonna call this a final, unless there's something really bothering you guys.

Since the other idle stance wasn't working out so well, I went back to the initial design. What do you think?

GraphicsGale is my new favorite spriting program. Genki ^_^

And yes, I'm gonna have to redo his freeze and strawberry animations.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Sevenstitch - 07-01-2012

The shading on the right leg, or is it a polka dot? If it isn't, you could probably do without it. Wink
Other than that, looks good to me.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Baegal - 07-01-2012

I love it! It has much more life than the previous two. If you can keep that bouncy attitude throughout all of the animations, it'll make for a really interesting character! As for his left (our right) leg's shading, removing the shadow towards the top of the thigh should fix the problem; the shadow below the knee is necessary.

The only things that bother me is
1.) the glove shading. To be honest, they really don't need shading; it only makes the hand area look cluttered (not to mention that the brown is already dark enough, so it really doesn't need the shadows).

2.) The banding on the face. Your darker shades by the ear really only need to be 1 pixel wide.

I made a really quick edit to show you what I mean here: [Image: Rh2e8.png]

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Virt - 07-02-2012

[Image: E3Boq.gif]
Yeah, I was a bit wary with the glove's shading in the first place. As for the banding on the face, I was trying to convey depth on the face, guess it didn't work out so well. Sick

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - JuninFC - 07-02-2012

Ok xXx HtE xXx . I also realized that he has too much shade in relation to others, I always use a lot of shader in my pixel , so I'm not very familiar with this simpler style. I used your edit to reference and I made a update

[Image: scaled.php?server=856&filename=gif10m.gif&res=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=4&filename=gif11d.gif&res=landing]

What is better?

and guy, continues with your edits and criticisms, they are great Wink

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Baegal - 07-02-2012

looking much better!
Right now, I would try to make the face area less cluttered. The dark outlines of the facial features make the face look really cluttered.
Also, you have some messy lines by the legs.
[Image: 9aiAf.png]
I highlighted them on the left in red, and made the fixes in the right, because I really don't know how to explain it :V

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - JuninFC - 07-02-2012

thanks Baegal !

[Image: scaled.php?server=607&filename=gif12t.gif&res=landing]

I don't know , but now is better ?

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Gors - 07-02-2012

you're slowly getting there, junin!

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Animator Rex - 07-05-2012

[Image: KUoWz.png]

Due to negative reaction to my last sprite, I'm starting over. Now before anyone says he's just a square with a face, he is. A cardboard box with a drawn face actually. I thought it would be unique. C+C pls.

EDIT: Also pick between the 3 designs.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - NICKtendo DS - 07-05-2012

Moving from circle tool to square tool is not a step folwards at all. Try to make your human character more interesting. Just because it is unappealing doesn't mean you should throw it away and start with something even more effortless. Use your human as a base, perhaps involve the box in your moveset.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Cobalt Blue - 07-05-2012

or maybe just stick towards being an assist first and then move into a full figther.

RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - Animator Rex - 07-06-2012

The box guy isnt actually done, and I was gonna add arms and legs and use the chainsaw as well. But yeah. Sure, I'll test that out.