The VG Resource
Ni no Kuni getting english release - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Ni no Kuni getting english release (/thread-18475.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Maxpphire - 09-18-2011

I'm mainly psyched on it because Level-5 and Studio Ghibli (but I generally like the moves except tails of earthsea, that one I can agree was really dumb.) I expect there to be an amazing storyline plus a game that is done as correctly as they can, which makes its chances very good.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Gors - 09-18-2011

I am also going to step in and say I don't see what's impressive about this game.

I've yet to see gameplay videos for it, and as for now, it looks like a Ghibli movie. I know both sides (Ghibli and Level-5) are awesome companies, but for me right now, I can't quite be sure.

inb4 ban gors

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Gwen - 09-18-2011

(09-18-2011, 11:42 AM)Accelgors Wrote: I am also going to step in and say I don't see what's impressive about this game.

I've yet to see gameplay videos for it, and as for now, it looks like a Ghibli movie. I know both sides (Ghibli and Level-5) are awesome companies, but for me right now, I can't quite be sure.

inb4 ban gors

BNAN GORS

Didn't see that coming did you? Cool
Princess Mononoke is one of the best movies ever, don't diss my peeps Studio Ghibli Tongue

Quote:Princess Mononoke is one of the best movies ever

I watched that when it was released, and... well, couldn't understand anything.

probably will be different if I watch it today but vov

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Shawn - 09-18-2011

(09-18-2011, 11:42 AM)Accelgors Wrote: I've yet to see gameplay videos for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBV7ZVTocg#t=50s

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - TomGuycott - 09-18-2011

(09-18-2011, 11:42 AM)Accelgors Wrote:

It's just lots of subtext (and just plainly spelled out in general too) about how war is bad, really, at least all the ones I've seen. I've never seen Kiki's Delivery Service, for example, which as far as I can tell probably has the LEAST to do with that kind of thing, though that's what I also thought about Castle in the Sky before I saw it and that probably had the MOST to do with that kind of plot.
ANYWAY, on the topic of the game I think that the Ghibli style looks kind of ugly for human models, and that I hope the animation quality I usually associate with the studio isn't diminished in the 3D animation (so far it just looks okay, nothing great or terrible, just too early to tell). What I DO like are the monster designs so far, I've always liked the monster and creature designs by Ghibli. I think the biggest factor is likely going to be gameplay. I happened to find this footage of a boss battle from the DS version:

(No, you moron, Video takes don't end in a /Spoiler tag.)

One thing I like here is the way the formation in battle is movable and a factor in victory. It's a step up from traditional turn-based battle systems, which I consider a point in the game's favor. Granted I have no idea how the PS3 version will play, I didn't read how the battle system is supposed to work from the footage I saw. Overall I think the game could prove enjoyable, though I don't think it'll end up being legendary beyond the "Oh, Studio Ghibli's name attached to a game!" factor. I mean, this thread is the first I've heard of it at all.

Oh, so there's some gameplay vids.

That is pretty interesting, yes, but

Accelgors Wrote:I don't see what's impressive about this game.

maybe it's the style of the game that doesn't appeal to me, or something. I've seen people praising this game so much but I can't seem to see what those people see. oh well.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Ikaruga - 09-18-2011

its called the hype fromt hose who, like me, loved every single ghibli movie for their plots and overall ambientation.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Maxpphire - 09-19-2011

(09-18-2011, 06:36 PM)TomGuycott Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 11:42 AM)Accelgors Wrote:

It's just lots of subtext (and just plainly spelled out in general too) about how war is bad, really, at least all the ones I've seen. I've never seen Kiki's Delivery Service, for example, which as far as I can tell probably has the LEAST to do with that kind of thing, though that's what I also thought about Castle in the Sky before I saw it and that probably had the MOST to do with that kind of plot.

Actually Grave of the Fireflies is the biggest one to do with war (it is set durring WW2 you know!)but that one is too depressing to watch, like don't even bother.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Kriven - 09-19-2011

Ghibli movies usually require more than one viewing to actually get any of the story elements out of them. You have to kind of already understand what's going to happen so you can focus more on why that has to happen.

At least, that's how it's been for me (with the exceptions of Castle in the Sky, Kiki, and Ponyo.)

Anyways, the game looks great, but most of the hype seems to be from what I dub the "Kingdom Hearts" factor. Nobody would really care without Ghibli's involvement.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Shawn - 09-19-2011

i care and ive never seen a ghibli film....

it looks like a genuinely good game. :/

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Gors - 09-19-2011

that's what I think, really

it is a good game, but I don't see why, in my friend's words, would want to buy ANOTHER PS3 just for this game. It's silly.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Strasteo - 09-19-2011

I'm excited because I like both companies and their works. My favorite Ghibli films include Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa etc...The animated cut-scenes are charming and it has Studio Ghibli's signature look. Level-5 is a great game company with an impressive history of quality titles.

I confess that the actual game graphics seem to be lacking a bit of luster to it and aren't as graphically intensive/realistic, but it matches the aesthetics of the world its trying to convey and while cartoony, are still pleasing to look at imo. I'm sort of getting a Dragon Quest VIII vibe. I'm really loving the designs and the general look of things.

We don't know much about the story right now, but even if it's predictable, I think it'll still be enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not thinking about the outcome; more so I'm thinking about the journey and characters that will make it worthwhile. I wouldn't buy a new PS3 for this game alone, (though the Limited-Edition PS3 does look pretty sexy) but it seems to be shaping up to be a great, if not good game.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Dazz - 09-20-2011

I found princess monhokiepokie pretty boring... Me and Charlie watches it last year I think, for a second time because I saw it ages ago and didn't understand. It still was talking anime animal bullshit with big red willies coming out of them.

RE: Ni no Kuni getting english release - Maxpphire - 09-20-2011

(09-20-2011, 02:19 AM)Dazz Wrote: I found princess monhokiepokie pretty boring... Me and Charlie watches it last year I think, for a second time because I saw it ages ago and didn't understand. It still was talking anime animal bullshit with big red willies coming out of them.

Honestly, I enjoy Castle in the Sky and Naussica a lot more then I enjoy Princess Mononoke. (Infact I think that one is their second weakest film but thats just me.)