The VG Resource
Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Questions, Info, and Tutorials (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-89.html)
+----- Thread: Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside (/thread-18433.html)

Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside - Besciamella - 09-10-2011

First of all, hello everyone.

I'm trying to get some of the artwork unlocked through the game from a psp game, namely Queen's Gate - Spiral Chaos. The game uses large .bin archives to keep the contents, and i managed to find the character spritesheets and their palettes with tiledGGD, but i can't seem to get a hold over the images themselves.

My personal thought about this is that they're saved in some kind of image format, and thus GGD can't view them, but then again i don't know what kind of format that may be or how to find it easily with a simple hex editor to try and rip it...

I've tried using a content scanner i luckily found around (sorry, but now i wouldn't be able to find it again Shy ) but i only got ATRAC3 sound files out of it, no images, so it's either a proprietary format from the coders who made the game or a more common one that any pc (and psp) can read

Any advice on how to get through this? Thanks in advance everyone

RE: Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside - Deathbringer - 09-10-2011

Have you tried a different format like 16, 24, or 32 bits per pixel?

RE: Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside - Besciamella - 09-10-2011

I tried all the formats you said with the files i thought possible, namely graphics.bin and battle.bin, with the latter being the one with spritesheets. I tried searching from the last spritesheet to the end of the file, and there's nothing that looks even slightly as an image.

Also, i don't think it's useful, but i guess it's worth a try Cute i've messed around with an hex editor, and i found something intersting i didn't notice before...
The files are in big archives, right, but each file inside the bin archive must be separated from the others, and it seems it's like that whenever these strings of bytes follow....
Code:
4C 49 43 45 20 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 00     LICE ...........
FF FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF     ÿÿÿÿ..ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
57 70 62 62 01 00 00 00 20                          Wpbb....
Before these, there usually are blanks (00) in random number; after these there are random characters, which, i suppose, are the data. The ÿÿÿÿ in the middle are also random, and vary between each file (an offset? at least that's what i found going around the web)

I tried looking for something similar for about 1h and half on google, but it didn't help me at all.

My hopes? it's some kind of known format rarely used, but those "LICE" and "Wpbb" strings just crush those hopes Rolleyes

So...unless they're in another file and i didn't see them there, i'm back at square one lol...

EDIT: Guess i'd add a couple of details to makes things easier...or so i hope
The images i'm trying to get are in 2 different places:
The formers get unlocked through the game's course and can be seen from the game's main menu itself before starting to play in full-screen with a full-colored background; a regular drawn image that you can find anywhere, so to speak.
The latters get unlocked when certain battle conditions are met (amount of damage dealt, type of attacking move made by the character, etc) and can be seen ONLY in battle sequences with a difference from the others; they have a semi-transparent background (usually colored red, pink or black), meaning that you can see the image in full quality and the battle sequence animation paused on the background.
Also, i did another breakthrough, but i seriously don't know where to look after this...i'm out of ideas completely...
Every chunk of data seems to start with "78 9C" code, i tried looking for it but i found almost nothing...some say it's some kind of signature for a compression format, but they don't say what type that is, at least where i looked XD

RE: Need help with psp graphics ripping, details inside - Besciamella - 09-13-2011

bump + idea lol

I just got an idea, but i don't know if it'll work...
Could it be possible to find out where the images are loaded from by looking at the psp's memory dump? Of course, if the game has DMA, it's going to be almost useless, but i don't think this is the case...
Please someone answer about this >_<

EDIT: half profit! Cute
I found the images INSIDE the memory dump this way, and the colors are also perfect so there's not even need for recoloring! but only for the characters included in battle which are acting on a precise moment, not for the others. In other words, i'd need a memdump for each character image in the precise moment that the image shows on screen...
Other than that, i found that the character portraits inside battles are also saved in those memdumps...i guess i found a way, but i'd still like to know how to locate them in the files via the memory dumps, if possible; this method, although positively working, would require a lot of time and it would probably kill my MStick with all the read/write operations...
Oh, and on a previous correction, looking at it, it seems it does have DMA...I'd like to post a screenie, but it's not really the kind of game to post screenies about, and if you know the game you know what i mean Smile