The VG Resource
My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project (/thread-14818.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - tsr moderation staff - 12-26-2010

(12-26-2010, 08:45 PM)Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors Wrote: Kat is right

while this project is p. dead atm, you can't force people to continue because there is no incentives, isn't simple enough for some people and others are doing their own projects.

I, for one, would make sprites for this if it was simpler. Making medium-sized sprites are complicated for me, and getting the animation right takes a lot of time. Combine this with my busy work schedule, and voilà.

I know you guys aren't willing to change the sprite style once again, but... if it was smaller and simpler...

this so much

i know we dont want to comprimise but even with the reductions this thing is way too ambitious. imo we should try and simplify the whole thing, like make a smash bros game as if it were on the snes or something like that. give it a cleaner, more old school feeling engine, a simpler sprite style (maybe), and fewer moves would definitely help this project along.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Alpha Six - 12-26-2010

So you're saying that we re-sprite all of the characters in this project.

Again.

The original intention of this project is to be a sprite project. Why would we reduce things for the game when the sprites are the important part?

Leave it alone, guys. The sprite style is fine. It's not hard to replicate, and changing it again will only overcomplicate things.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - tsr moderation staff - 12-26-2010

we wouldn't necessarily have to redo them, just simplify them. ones like gooey who have lots of progress are probably nearly simple enough anyway. cutting down on AA and shades can speed things up a lot in the long run.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Alpha Six - 12-27-2010

There's 2 or 3 shades per color at most. We don't need to cut one out-- less shades are actually harder to do unless you use a solid color, which would honestly be more of a cop-out if anything for something like Smash Bros.

Like I said before, the style is perfectly fine and easy enough as it is. The problem isn't the sprite style, it's the motivation-- for obvious reasons.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Lunar - 12-27-2010

Personally I think the styles quite impressive as it is
This may be slightly offtopic but can someone either post the spriting requirments for each character (Stance, walk, run ect.) or link me to the appropriate topic?
I'm not that familiar with the smash bros moveset, but i'd like to help out with the sheeting

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Locked Achievement - 12-27-2010

Quote:Moveset List Idea: Zabi
Intro
Idle (Motions 1,2,3 When they are in their idle they tend to move or do something funny.)
Walking
Running
Turning
Floor Slip
Jumping
Double Jumping
Ducking (Down)
Falling (Regular and after Up Special)
Damage 1, 2, 3
A Combo
Side Tilt A
Up Tilt A
Down Tilt A
Up Smash
Down Smash
Side Smash
Special Move (B)
Up Special
Down Special
Side Special
Dodge 1,2,3
Air Dodge
Neutral Aerial (A)
Side Aerial
Upward Aerial
Downward Aerial
Taunt 1,2,3
Shield
Shield Break
Shield Fatigue
Background KO
Recover (When you get up after an attack)
Recover Attack (When the A or B button is pressed after attack)
Cliff Hanger
Cliff Hanger Attack (A&B)
Cliff Hanger Dodge
Held Item (Melee Items and etc.)
Assist Trophy Activation
Item Throw (Up, down or Side)
Air Item throw
Edge Movement (When you are at the very tip of an edge)
Grab
Grab Attack (Z)
Up Grab
Down Grab
Side Grab
Final Smash
Final Smash End (Some characters don't have an ending they just return to the field.)
Dash Attack (Run then press A)
Floor Slam (On the characters back and front side)
Victory 1
Victory 2
Victory 3

its in the Smash Bros Project 5.0 topic

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - tsr moderation staff - 12-27-2010

that is also a lot of animations to do

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Gors - 12-27-2010

now grab those 55 actions, multiply them with an average of 12 frames and then again by 8 for the characters

5280 frames welp (and sword-carrying characters may have this doubled for the back poses)

removing some of the unecessary actions (like all those victories, idle animations), using modular spriting and reusing some frames will make things go faster (it won't be as accurate as the original's animations, but keep in mind this is a 2D game, you can't copy exactly everything from a 3D-based game).

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Tarvonas - 12-28-2010

I feared that someone would bring up the idea of changing the style. My GOD it's like an endless loop. O.o Less colours doesn't necessarily make things easier... It's quite hard to make things look right and clean, I reckon. The more colours there are, the easier it is to overlook slight imperfections.

Anyways, I think the style is quite wonderful as it is, and if we take it too far we'll just be.. lessening quality. I thought the whole idea was to go in the direction of quality over quantity as opposed to MG.

I like what Gors said, with removing the unnecessary sequences. Any of you lads played the flash game: Super Nuke Bros. Melee? Well maybe not to that extent, but you get the picture. That way, in the future when we're well ahead in production, if we want to include these sequences to the already finished characters; well it's only a matter of spriting them and having Runouw add them in.

EDIT: Hey, a few days ago I would've agreed with DeepSeaTooth and argued with him but I figure like Alpha said, it's nice how we can just sprite when we're bored, post 'em up on the project and yeah. Take it as it comes in our own time. I think if anything, we need to be a little less strict. Sure, quality is the big thing here, but it's very hard to maintain motivation when you're constantly having to re-do the same sequence because of slight imperfections that're really hardly noticeable.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Proton - 12-28-2010

(12-27-2010, 09:15 AM)Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors Wrote: reusing some frames
Why isn't this technique being used already?

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Ton - 12-28-2010

Here's what's not happening: Changing the style again. There is literally no reason for this to happen.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Ninspriterx - 12-28-2010

Hey guys, Smash Bros. Project looking.. well it's alright.

The style change is clearly uneeded. Take it from me, the guy who (I wouldn't say created but) finalized this sprite style and the last sprite style we used. This one has the perfect balance of simplicity and still having it look great.
If we keep going on making the style simple to sprite might as well make the whole damn thing 8-bit. Which we don't want, not for this project.
Although by the looks of it, it may take years for us to get close to finished. I'll admit I haven't been doing anything on my part either.
But if we leave it open to just anyone and forget about it well.. have you seen that guy in the Mario topic? Geez!

But let's make the goal even easier to reach. You all remember the moves in 64. Why not cut down the moves list to that? And then we can add other things later.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - tsr moderation staff - 12-28-2010

also, lets not worry too much about accuracy in the animations. just make it look good, that will speed things up a lot.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Negative-Zer0 - 12-28-2010

I thought that i would come back and add this little piece of information.

Like Tyvon said, the problem isn't the fact that there is too much moves. Oerfect example would be gooey. Did you see how quick everyone finished him, despite to number of moves? The problem is that people aren't motivatied enough. Should runouw release a new demo or something with the engine more polished, perhaps that can get the ball rolling. Hell even a video showcasing some sprites that have had some progess can get some work done.(such as Ness or Sukapon)

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Locked Achievement - 12-28-2010

That sounds good enough. Maybe even something as that will certainly help speed things up

EDIT:

(12-28-2010, 11:09 AM)Prontron Wrote:
(12-27-2010, 09:15 AM)Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors Wrote: reusing some frames
Why isn't this technique being used already?

Honestly, I did this a couple of times with Gooey. I think I even made an entire move of just reused frames, but I cant remember the move