The VG Resource
My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project (/thread-14818.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Locked Achievement - 12-26-2010

Ok, Now I have to add a point to this topic because of the lack of work:

Ever since that point about the combos was raised, no-one has even bothered to upload any sprites because the combos caused such an uproar and so many arguements that people have just given up
Seriously you guys cant have given up on this project. we are further then you think into it.

Oh, and next time you abuse someone of thinking this is mcleodgaming, remember that at this current point in time his game is far superior to ours. Sure, the sprites are crap and the character choice is even worse, but he is much more motivated to complete his game. He currently has 9 characters in his demo that are all well coded, the items mostly work as planned, the stages have next to no glitches. So next time you say 'But isn't Mcleodgaming, this is tSR, you idiot. We hate Mcleodgaming and everything associated with him i never want to read his name again', remember that where we both stand right now he is doing much better than we are, and instead of stubbornly looking down our noses at his site, we should look up to him as a role model for being such a dedicated worker, because at the moment no-one here is working towards this project.

Thank you.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Proton - 12-26-2010

You realize the MG forum is pretty much only dedicated to the fan game, whereas this forum isn't, right?

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Dils - 12-26-2010

The reason MG gets results is that they are more organized, here you're just saying "do what you want but it would be nice if you sprited now or then".

I really hope that productivity will go up if/when Runouw updates the demo, as there will be more motivation to work.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Alpha Six - 12-26-2010

No, the reason MG gets results is because they have zero quality control and most of their members don't have things to do outside of their glorious Smash Project. We're not forcing people to work because they don't have to. This is a fangame/spriting project with absolutely no profit whatsoever, so of course you won't be seeing updates left and right, and forcing people to work for absolutely no benefit whatsoever except ~credits and pride~ is not enough to get the desired results out of people.

PS: Nobody gave up on the project just because of the combo system. This project dies and comes back randomly, it has nothing to do with the subjects raised.
You also have to consider that a lot of our members are either in school, or working frequently (like myself). We have very few members that are doing "nothing".

Most people's winter breaks are being spent with family, as well.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Dils - 12-26-2010

Although the quality of SSF2 may lack, they are progressing. They start out with bad sprites and bad coding, and continuously improve and edit, while this project seems to want to have everything perfect before releasing. It'll get much better results, but it'll take time.

And the reason MGs demos are delayed are because the devs have other things to do, they aren't forced to do anything.

I'm just gonna stress this part right here:

(12-26-2010, 12:32 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: This is a fangame/spriting project with absolutely no profit whatsoever, so of course you won't be seeing updates left and right, and forcing people to work for absolutely no benefit whatsoever except ~credits and pride~ is not enough to get the desired results out of people.

Also, a lot of the active spriters here are pursuing their own projects. About 60% of the people I can think of off the top of my head that check these forums are most likely doing their own thing right now. This project is at a very low priority for tSR. And that's perfectly okay.

One more thing:
We aren't looking down at McLeodGaming at all, except for when a bunch of idiotic drones drop in and start talking about SSF2, which is the only time McLeodGaming is even brought up.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - ThePortalGuru - 12-26-2010

God damn, even Runouw has his own agenda. He hasn't updated his blog since July, but does that matter? No, because he's hard at work at college so he can get an education that'll suit him well in the real world. You have to realize, people have lives outside their projects. Sure, I'd LIKE to see some progress, but I think it's perfectly reasonable if there isn't any.

And I'm not going to make a Fate's Mirror joke right now, either.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Proton - 12-26-2010

Dils.
There's no argument here.

It's a matter of patience.
Don't be impatient.

You work, whatever.

If someone else does, whatever.

The world doesn't revolve around a clone game.

And even worse, you're trying to compare it to SSF2.
This has nothing to do with them.
At all.
At all.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Maxpphire - 12-26-2010

I bet even if we did a tSR member based project that it will become like this one, worked on when pleased.

Basically since we have quality control, if this even does become a game rather then a sprite sheet submission then it will at least be what I would assume better then MG's games since we have that high standard of quality control.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - ThePortalGuru - 12-26-2010

(12-26-2010, 06:28 PM)Kat Wrote: I bet even if we did a tSR member based project that it will become like this one, worked on when pleased.

Basically since we have quality control, if this even does become a game rather then a sprite sheet submission then it will at least be what I would assume better then MG's games since we have that high standard of quality control.

Plus Runouw is a far superior coder than McCleod.

Cool

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Kosheh - 12-26-2010

(12-26-2010, 12:32 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: No, the reason MG gets results is because they have zero quality control and most of their members don't have things to do outside of their glorious Smash Project.
this
so hard

fun fact: I helped with SSF2 at some points - I did a lot of the UI and I made a manual for the game (cba to get my work out) and...when I wasn't doing that I WAS the quality control. <<

There were two other people doing quality control - one was pretty honest but didn't stay long (because we became intelligent) and the other...is 25 and

well, he has a tendency to care in a department where no one else does, so they kinda just let him do it anyway, and whatever seems like a good idea to him? is
so yeah, over there Cleod pretty much just
programs.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Gors - 12-26-2010

Kat is right

while this project is p. dead atm, you can't force people to continue because there is no incentives, isn't simple enough for some people and others are doing their own projects.

I, for one, would make sprites for this if it was simpler. Making medium-sized sprites are complicated for me, and getting the animation right takes a lot of time. Combine this with my busy work schedule, and voilà.

I know you guys aren't willing to change the sprite style once again, but... if it was smaller and simpler...

(12-26-2010, 08:45 PM)Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors Wrote: I know you guys aren't willing to change the sprite style once again, but... if it was smaller and simpler...
No no no, no, no, NO, no, No., no. No.

Please do not start throwing this idea around, it is a horrible idea.

RE: My honest thought on Smash Bros Project - Gors - 12-26-2010

Quote:I know you guys aren't willing to change the sprite style

[Image: sdfgsg.jpg]

Yeah, but then you implied a sprite style change in the same sentence. u_u