The VG Resource
Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Assist Trophies and Pokemon (/thread-8719.html)

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Koopaul - 11-04-2009

That sounds pretty cool but wouldn't Mew do the same thing? Hm... Perhaps we can have rare item giving ATs just like those Pokemon.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Ton - 11-04-2009

We don't really have to have Mew/Celebi do what they did in Brawl. We can change it up. Mew could just be an award like in Melee, or maybe seeing Mew is a prerequisite for getting Mewtwo to appear and challenge you.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Shadowth117 - 11-05-2009

(11-04-2009, 11:53 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: We don't really have to have Mew/Celebi do what they did in Brawl. We can change it up. Mew could just be an award like in Melee, or maybe seeing Mew is a prerequisite for getting Mewtwo to appear and challenge you.

I'm all for changing it up, but can we have an alternate way of unlocking Mewtwo as well because relying on luck for an unlockable can be annoying since it can make him one of the first characters you get or the last at times.

Another thing this made me think of is the fact that you could never get more than one unlockable character through an arcade mode playthrough. Maybe we could have it so that you can have multiple unlockable character fights if the requirements are met for each one?

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - soulcaliburfan - 11-05-2009

If we could program in the vs battle unlocking character thing, I am all for that. That was always the easiest way to unlock the difficult characters.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Kitsu - 11-05-2009

(11-05-2009, 04:40 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: I'm all for changing it up, but can we have an alternate way of unlocking Mewtwo as well because relying on luck for an unlockable can be annoying since it can make him one of the first characters you get or the last at times.

Another thing this made me think of is the fact that you could never get more than one unlockable character through an arcade mode playthrough. Maybe we could have it so that you can have multiple unlockable character fights if the requirements are met for each one?

Well, you could always farm pokeballs!

Or you could maintain his old requirement of 700 vs. battles.

@scf, yeah, that should be easy to code. Just activate a flag, and TADAH!

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Rökkan - 11-05-2009

That also reminds me that we should have a Chain Chomp AT. He could just stay chained in one place, or run around the stage, or even work like in Link's Awakening, that the Chain Chomp is chained to you, dashing towards nearby enemies occasionally, but maybe he'd also have a negative effect on you, making you heavier than usual.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Ton - 11-05-2009

I didn't like the "play X battles to unlock Y." It was a step down from Melee's various ways to unlock someone. Beat Mushroom Kingdom with a 3 at the end of your time. Beat the game with 7 people. Beat the game with Mario, Complete all target tests. Complete 100-man melee. That's way more fun and gives you a better sense of accomplishment when you've unlocked them. Plus, if someone is just messing around in the game and unlocks someone, that's a good feeling. Who cares if Mewtwo is unlocked completely by chance? That makes the gaming experience different for everyone.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - soulcaliburfan - 11-05-2009

I was just saying the x amount of battles should remain an option.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Alpha Six - 11-05-2009

If people want Mewtwo THAT bad, they can play a versus match and turn off everything except Poke Balls, and set the item appearance rate to max.

EDIT: I agree that the x battles should remain, but make it like Melee; you have to play a LOT of matches. Brawl's system was retarded.

"I played 3 VS matches, coo--wait, I"m fighting Ness now?"

Tah-dah! And it's not like it'll be common knowledge. It doesn't even have to be the only requisite. Maybe he you have to see Mew and beat the game as Pokemon Trainer or something. Not on the same playthrough. Just both benchmarks have to be hit.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Jdaster64 - 11-05-2009

In SSBM, in addition to meeting the various requirements, you would unlock all the characters eventually by playing 1000 VS. matches, and beating them as the challenges came (Jiggs at 50, and one character at every multiple of 100). I say something like that is in order.

On an unrelated topic, do we know who is going to be unlockable and who isn't?

Hasn't really been decided yet. I'm fine with alternate unlockable routes via vs matches.

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Shadowth117 - 11-05-2009

I guess its okay with the melee style x matches system there too. I like Tonberry's idea about having to hit multiple benchmarks to get a character. Maybe not for everyone, but Mewtwo for example would probably be neat to get that way. The character independent method has generally been fine for Smash Bros. games for me and generally a lot more fun, but Mewtwo's leave your Gamecube on for 24 hours was the one exception. I'd prefer any other unlock method in the series to that.

(11-05-2009, 05:35 PM)jdaster64 Wrote: In SSBM, in addition to meeting the various requirements, you would unlock all the characters eventually by playing 1000 VS. matches, and beating them as the challenges came (Jiggs at 50, and one character at every multiple of 100). I say something like that is in order.

On an unrelated topic, do we know who is going to be unlockable and who isn't?

I don't think anybody ever discussed it, but I think it would be neat if you only started with the original Smash Bros.' characters.

edit:
(11-05-2009, 04:52 PM)Rökkan Wrote: That also reminds me that we should have a Chain Chomp AT. He could just stay chained in one place, or run around the stage, or even work like in Link's Awakening, that the Chain Chomp is chained to you, dashing towards nearby enemies occasionally, but maybe he'd also have a negative effect on you, making you heavier than usual.

I like these ideas, but we need to decide on one.

How's this?

Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Diddy, Link, Zelda, Samus, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Ness, Lucas, Ike, Captain Falcon, Pit, Ice Climbers, Olimar

But we need some newcomers to be playable too...

RE: Assist Trophies and Pokemon - Wes - 11-05-2009

One more Pokemon (and StarFox) should be staring. Having 2 starting and 4 unlockable (or 1 starting and 3 unlockable) seems like too big of a difference.