Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF]
I am revamping the sprites of Super Mario Kart. These sprites will be used for a functional hack of the game which my hacker-friends will be working on.

Because it is a hack, I have to work on limitations(of course, that's how it is with everything). So, I just wanted to say that in case you're wondering why the sprites are so small, etc. Also another thing you must know is that I'm on a limited palette ALTOGETHER. Which is why Mario and Toad share the same palette. Same goes for DK and Peach. It's not me being lazy. It's just I'm following the limitations, which they have explained to me.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO~

RACERS IN HACK
[Image: 3E8g4.png]

COURSE HAZARDS AND LAKITU[Image: thwompstomp.gif]
[Image: QQY6p.png]

ITEMS
[Image: gxXy0.gif]
[Image: 33Iru.png]

CHARACTER PATCHES
Wario[Replaces Koopa Troopa]
[Image: vSlSS.png]

Show your support!

[Image: dariC.png]
OR
[Image: l3q8a.png]
Whichever you prefer!
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Why do you need to make everything better than it is?!

..Though, Bowser looks kinda strange now with his mouth open thanks to the style change.
Thanked by: Gors, recme
OH YOU~

And yeah, I plan on fixing that later on when I make the full sheet. I still need to sprite him with his mouth closed haha

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by:
These are terrible!
Oh, don't mind me, I'm just using words you've never heard before!
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Bowser's muzzle(?) area looks a little messy. Try and tone down the shading around the part where the top of it meets the jaw (the joint area). Also, Peach looks hunched over a bit. Try and straighten out her back. Great sprites, nevertheless! Wink
in addition to what was said, I suggest toning down on detail. This looks great and all but if you're following the original's limitations, then you'll need to resprite them at different distances, which can make them look really cramped and unreadable. Find a balance between detail and readability on other sprites.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Gaia, Star, recme
I don't know if this is allowed, but if you want Yoshi to fit in more with the other colors, I would suggest adding another shade of green. Right now, he looks kinda out of style, being that his face is not as busy (not in a bad way) as the other characters.
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Wah! You'll be making a whole sheet? Great!

Thanked by: Star, Garamonde, recme
Wow. This is freakin impressive dude! Make sure you let us know where we can find the hack and such when it's finished! Big Grin
Also, is the hack replacing Koopa with Wario?... good choice aha
I AM the real Sonic
[Image: CQ2SON5WIAAGreM.jpg]
Thanked by: Star
(07-01-2012, 10:47 PM)Baegal Wrote: I don't know if this is allowed, but if you want Yoshi to fit in more with the other colors, I would suggest adding another shade of green. Right now, he looks kinda out of style, being that his face is not as busy (not in a bad way) as the other characters.
Sadly at the moment..it is not. Since apparently it is coded that Yoshi must get his colors from Bowser's palette, it's very limited. Yoshi is kind of just..unfinished at the moment. The two hackers are trying to work a way around that though so there can be stand alone palettes(allowing me to add another shade of green like suggested).

Also, some interesting facts: Did you know on Rainbow Road that there are 64 color palette slots..and over half of those aren't even used?

Did you know that it was possible for Nintendo to have a bigger roster?
I don't know what the reasons were for not doing so..I guess cause it was the first Mario Kart. Perhaps they weren't sure it'd be successful or just time limit issues.

Also, I'll be sure to post the hack in this topic when finished.

Thanked by: Garamonde, Deebs
I know you're doing this hack as a commission, but I was curious: What about Koopa Troopa?

I see that he's been replaced by Wario, but I always played as him in SMK and was wondering how he'd look Cry
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Tellis
Oh no. Koopa Troopa hasn't been replaced. Wario is just part of an experiment that the hackers are working on. I assure you Koopa Troopa will be back. They also wanted me to work on a blue shelled Para-Troopa so..
I'll be posting them in time, as well as the fixes to Peach and Bowser.

As for the whole distancing thing that Gors explained, there won't be "detail" problems with that. Things will be readable, I assure you.
(Also, ViperShark, since you have me on Facebook..the sprites get posted there first since I always show my WIPs there. Just keep on the lookout.)

Thanked by: Garamonde, Tellis
Peach and Luigi's faces seem a little too wide. There's something about Peach's smile that looks... goofy. Maybe take a pixel width off their heads either side and not have Peach's mouth curl up?

Other than that, these are amazing! They've got a similar vibe to the Mario & Luigi games. Looking forward to seeing progress!
[Image: SigYT.png][Image: SigArt.png]
Thanked by: Star
Yoshi's nose comes off as looking unfinished, but probably easily fixable.
Peach also looks a bit too much like Sony's Fat Princess than Peach. Probably because she's no longer sitting back like in the original sprite, now looking like she's leaning forward, causing her chunky arms to hide her waist. Just looks far too chunky for Peach

Everyone else is looking great, including Bowser in his fly catching pose.
I would suggests you follow Gor's advice and see how these look at different distances though before committing to the style.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
So, it seems you're trying to make the roster bigger! That would be amazing if the team choses the right characters! Big Grin
And about the sprites, I, like others who posted before, think thet thay're overdetailed. They looks great, but still... Oh, and yeah, Yoshi looks out of style because everything you've already said.
I'm really looking forward to see this finished! I have my own SMK revamps, but after seeing yours I think I need to work on them a lot more xD

EDIT- Oh, I forgot to mention, if the team acomplish to give each character an own palette, you should try to paint every kart with a different color. Right now, Bowser, Peach and Yoshi look a little weird with white karts.
Boo!
Thanked by: