Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
SUPER ARISA WORLD
SUPER ARISA WORLD
Post Update: 10/25/2012

Test the game here! (.exe version)
link for the browser-based version (it is very outdated, I reccomend the upper link)

Controls*:

W, A, S, Very Sad D-pad
O: Run, grab
P: Jump
Space: Change character (Arisa runs faster, Sengi~ can double jump)

*some of them works only in the .exe version.

Super Arisa World is a parody game starring Arisa and Sengi~. As the name suggests, it heavily references Super Mario World, though it also takes inspiration from other games too.

Story
Everyone lived in peace in the land of tSR. Unfortunately, for this game to happen, something terrible had to occur, so Vipershark decided to kidnap all the girls in tSR.
For an even more unexpainable reason, Crappy Blue Luigi is the only one who knows about this tragedy, and promptly asks Gors and Sengir, the local heroes, for help.
Unfortunately, a game starring both Gors and Sengir would be so radular, the player would never die, and they knew it. So they came up with stupid excuses, such as "working in TFR" or "coding this important stuff". Crappy Blue Luigi then shrugs, and wonders who could bring back peace in the spriter's land.
He then hears some happy chatter. It was Arisa and Sengi~, taking a walk without knowing they were in danger.

"Arisa! Help us! Vipershark has kidnapped all the imoutos in tSR! Please save them from being transformed into dakimakuras..." - Crappy Blue Luigi

I have no idea why he didn't mention Sengi~ in that line, but nevertheless, both girls decided to kick Vipershark's butt and save the captive girls from his clutches...

Gameplay

Level Layout:

The game has 4 levels, and every level has three 'floors', except the last level (which is Viper's castle). The floors are as follows:

1-middle (MID): Every level starts here. It has a basic platformer layout, and can branch into TOP and BOT.
2-top (TOP): One of MID's branches. It can be accessed by entering an upwards pipe, climbing vines, platforms etc. As Mario's athletic levels, there are a lot of floating platforms and falling off them is a constant threat.
3-bottom (BOT): Another MID's branches. It can be accessed by entering a downwards pipe. It is the underground layout, with rocky surfaces, stalactites and lava.
  • Each floor has its goal pole.
  • Once you change your route, you can't go back. The only way to visit all floors is to replay the level.
  • There are 4 manga pieces in every level. They are scattered between floors, so you need to play through all of them to complete it.
    • Gathering all manga pieces will give you a special prize.
  • Every floor has 5 rep blocks so you can get its bonus whenever path you've taken.

Level System:

Levelling system works this way:
  • Killing an enemy will give you EXP points. You can stack them in the EXP bar, but being hit or dying will completely deplete it.
  • Gathering a certain number of EXP points will level you up.
  • Levelling up will make your attacks stronger and give them special effects. It does not affect Normal Arisa/Sengi~ though.
  • You have 9 icons in your EXP bar, and they're sorted as follows:
Code:
EXP 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 MAX
--1-------2---------3   < Level
  • You start out at level 1 (no EXP). Killing four enemies will make you level up to 2, and killing 5 more will level you up to 3.
For example, if you grab the Nekomimi powerup (fireball) at level 1, you'll be able to shoot only one ball at a time. Levelling up will then give you the ability to shoot more balls at once.
  • Different powerups don't share EXPs. So, for example, if you were at level 3 with Nekomimi powerup, and decide to grab another, the EXP will go back to 0 so it can start counting for the new powerup. If you get the Nekomimi powerup again, the EXP will return to 3. It will make levelling up somewhat easier.
  • Levelling up as Normal Arisa/Sengi~ and then picking a powerup will keep the EXP.
  • Being hit or dying will reset all your EXP progress for all powerups though, as well as reverting Arisa/Sengi~ back to their normal state.
    • Should I make it so the other powerups' EXP progress are kept even if you take a hit/die? This will make the game a little easier. It's up to you.
  • NOTE: grabbing a mushroom will NOT change EXPs as it's meant to be a simple graphical joke. You'll return to whatever powerup you had before grabbing the mushroom.
    • Should I make different human sprites for each powerup?
  • PS: Should enemies give 'half-EXP' points, so you need to kill more enemies to level up?

Co-op:

1-Since this game has different stats for each character, it'd be better if the players could swap them before any level.
2-They have separate HUDs, except for:
  • Rep points, in which finding all 5 blocks will give each player one life;
  • Mangas, in which finding all 4 pieces will give you a secret prize. The manga icon appears in both characters' HUDs but they're updated at the same time.
3-Lives work as follows:
  • Although lives are counted separately for each player, if a player loses all his lives, he can borrow one from the remaining player. You can't borrow lives if the remaining player doesn't have lives too.
  • Because of the co-op nature of the game, if you die, you'll return immediately, inside a gashapon capsule.
    • The player can decide when to drop the capsule, and where.
    • The capsule will come from above and roll for a while. Pressing JUMP Button will open the capsule. The player will be invulnerable for a limited time.
    • The capsule is invulnerable to any harm, except falling in a hole.
4-See 2.
5-Powerups work as follows:
  • To make the game more balanced, blocks will spawn two powerups so every player can get one. they jump out from opposite sides so there won't be any issues of the same player getting both powerups.
  • Starsock is an exception, there wil be only one of her on the screen. She'll also protect only the player who got her, so the other player might want to walk behind to be protected together.
  • Grabbing the coin will teleport BOTH players into the bonus room.

1-You can't leave your partner off screen; the sides of the screen will act as walls.
2-Entering a pipe will make an icon with your face appear, pointing on the pipe. The camera will stop scrolling, either forcing the second player to enter the same pipe or the first player come out from the pipe.
  • To come out from the pipe in Co-op mode, press the opposite side you pressed to enter.
3-I am planning some interaction between the first and second players, so it doesn't feel like a simply tacked-on Co-op mode. I've been thinking on being able to stomp on your partner so you can reach higher places. Of course, the stomp won't be harmful. Other suggestions are welcome.

Other Game Ideas:

2-The lying down sprite is when you lose a life. I thought it would be better than simply falling off screen, like Mario does.
  • Now that I think about it, how should the dead sprite act when at a slope?
    • Suggestion: Make Arisa/Sengi~ fall off the screen in normal deaths, and make her lie down when losing the last life? I dunno.
  • The burned sprites are for when you die with lava, or any fiery object.

3-You can't kill PK.
  • In theory, Starsock could kill PK but they won't appear on the same level so it doesn't really matter. I can make a dead sprite for him for the sake of completeness.

4-Popcorn is a 'stealth' enemy:
  • It is found in the levels as kernels. They can't be harmed in this state;
  • Once you approach them, they'll jump out from it, hurting you in contact;
  • Once they have spawned, they'll walk towards you somewhat fast;
  • They'll jump whenever you do, making them a little harder to stomp on. Its jump is not high, though (probably one block-high jumps).

You can find the game's soundtrack by checking my YT channel, under 'Super Arisa World' playlist. It is updated somewhat regularly, and the new tracks are also shown in this thread.

If you support this project, please add this icon to your sig!

[Image: b0KxM.gif]

Code:
[url=http://www.spriters-resource.com/community/showthread.php?tid=20116][img]http://i.imgur.com/b0KxM.gif[/img][/url]

Thanks for the support! If you have any suggestion, be free to share them Heart

Credits

Programmer: Ploaj

Main Designer: Gors

Graphic Designer: Gors, Ploaj, Recolorme, Sploder

Sound Composer: Gors

Character Design: tSR

Doublethanks to: Everyone who helped and supported this game Heart
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
this is fucking hilarious

couple of issues, though: I see that you've addressed the main issue with Girlsal's legs (in that she was leaning too far forward because of their original placement), but the positioning still looks a bit unstable. I'd tweak it a bit more (maybe shift the right leg [our left] over another pixel). Second, the hair's just acting crazy in the run animation; what's the ref you're using for it? If you need one, I'd recommend looking at how Shanoa's hair flows in her animations for Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, or you could even mimic Miku's running animation from a pretty recently submitted sheet (this one has the added bonus of showing the double-pigtails that you have going for Girlsal)

Also, I know you're constrained for room and all that in the falling animation, but I would try to do something to compensate for the hair. It's not natural for it to shrink like that :F

And also also, when jumping, the hair probably shouldn't curl around like that. It should naturally be straight when it's being tugged into the air like that.
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

g-gorzy poo!!!
this was a secret!!!
omg now they'll know....
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
(04-18-2012, 12:40 AM)Rosencrantz Wrote: this is fucking hilarious

couple of issues, though: I see that you've addressed the main issue with Girlsal's legs (in that she was leaning too far forward because of their original placement), but the positioning still looks a bit unstable. I'd tweak it a bit more (maybe shift the right leg [our left] over another pixel). Second, the hair's just acting crazy in the run animation; what's the ref you're using for it? If you need one, I'd recommend looking at how Shanoa's hair flows in her animations for Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, or you could even mimic Miku's running animation from a pretty recently submitted sheet (this one has the added bonus of showing the double-pigtails that you have going for Girlsal)

Also, I know you're constrained for room and all that in the falling animation, but I would try to do something to compensate for the hair. It's not natural for it to shrink like that :F

And also also, when jumping, the hair probably shouldn't curl around like that. It should naturally be straight when it's being tugged into the air like that.

I see what you meant with the legs, I'll try tweaking it later. As for the hair, I didn't use any references and relied on memory instead. I couldn't be arsed to look up a proper ref for a joke sprite, so I just winged that quickly.

I'm afraid that the falling will need to be like that due to sprite size (I wanted to make it longer too), but I can definitely tweak the hair in the jump.

Thanks for the C+C!
Thanked by: Rosencrantz
[Image: Bl3Pk.png]
[Image: xSrdP.png]
Oh look, random maid. This is by far great, though Sengi's horn should be a bit brighter since it's facing the lightsource and poking out of the hair. Vipoomba is hilarious though, the nosebleed was a 'fitting' way to go. Who's Bowser's equal? Dazz?
Thanked by: Zadaben
I'm guessing Starsock
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: Zadaben
It's Sengi~, not Sengi

If you're gonna genderbend my character do it right >:I

(also i agree with the crit, the horn(?) lighting is weird)
Thanked by: Garamonde
[Image: eRipw.gif]

also it isn't horn, it is a conveniently placed ahoge
Thanked by: Rosencrantz, Zadaben
Bowser is my konaghast

I think starsock is the invincibility powerup
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Mutsukki, Zadaben, Garamonde
(04-17-2012, 09:52 PM)Gors Wrote: we noticed that Sengir wasn't 'moe' enough for the chat

Oh, a wise guy, eh?

Why I oughta...
Thanked by: Kitsu, recme
(04-18-2012, 06:37 PM)Gors Wrote: [Image: xSrdP.png]

Is it bad that I thought of something else when I read this?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Previous, Ploaj, Perseus
itadakimasu....
its me, i'm bowser.

i'm going to fuck all this shit up.
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWRRRRRRRRR