Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
[Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested?
Question 
Ever since i've learned how to make games, i noticed that all i've ever done was make editors or tools to speed up development. In the end, making a tool instead of a game =/. I've made tools for frame-based sprite animating, skeletal animation, tile-maps, hardcoded-game-specific editors, more tile-map editors..., multiple cutscene editors ...etc.................. Im sure you get the point.

Anyways, i'm in the middle of making yet another editor. Its supposed to be a "general" level editor, with the main idea that its basically just a bunch of "plugins" used together. I did this to avoid making a hardcoded-game-specific level editor that can only be used for that one game. Through the plugins, one can make a "hardcoded" plugin for the editor if they wanted to, or a more general plugin and interpret the output data themselves in the game. In the game im currently working on, Enribeaver, that's what i did. I interpreted the output xml and "converted" all the sprites into renderable components, and shapes into collision polygons.

If people get interested and want to help, I'll post what i have of the editor. I'll have spend some time to re-code it so that its more organized and manageable as i didn't plan on others even seeing the code. Once i do that, and people are interested, ill upload the source code somewhere for everyone to use.

TL;DR : Is anyone interested with helping to make a general level editor for 2D games? Right now it uses c#/Xna (windows) but if anyone has a problem with that, i can use something else. I'm only using Xna because it's the only thing i have found that is easy to use for rendering. Im thinking of moving to c#/sfml so i don't limit myself to windows users.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
[Open Source] General 2D Level Editor || Any Interested? - by TheShyGuy - 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM