The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Dooku - 07-15-2012

(07-15-2012, 10:22 PM)segwayspeedracer Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 10:13 PM)Dooku Wrote: we can now set the palettes for the racers to any of the 8 FG palettes thanks to Mattrizzle on board2.

enlighten the noob, master:

FG? Does this mean characters can access their original four palettes + four extra (which I'm assuming will be the same ones that the obstacles can access)?

There are 8 16-color FG (foreground/sprite) palettes and 8 16-color BG (background) palettes. Sprites cannot access the BG palettes, and backgrounds cannot access the FG palettes.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Iceman404 - 07-15-2012

(07-15-2012, 01:55 PM)segwayspeedracer Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 01:25 PM)Dooku Wrote: Thanks to Raccoon Sam for pointing out that the item tiles are probably 2bpp. I think he's right, and if so, that means only 4 colors for each of those tiles (2^2 = 4).

I thought we struck jackpot with 4 blacks and 4 whites on one palette. Thanks for pointing that out!

It is my joy to announce that Rainbow Road had SO much untapped potential.

The Rainbow Road background can immediately access 16 different palettes AT THE SAME TIME (coming from the other course backgrounds).
Just on the Rainbow Road palette, It seems that 4 sets of purple and 4 sets of black were used in the Rainbow Road background palette (but, I'm assuming that these are in 2bpp (4 colors per palette) because there's way more 'transparent' colors showing up). But I got an obnoxious amount of color onto the background when I experimented with this.
There are a total of 48 background sprites available (ONLY 9 sprites were used in the original).
There are 181 UNUSED rainbow road ground tiles, ready for editing.
For every color of the rainbow road ground tiles, there is an extra, unused color. So, this means, three colors per red tile instead of two.

So my good people. Imagine the possibilities.

This is just screaming for Star to rape Rainbow Road in the ass till' it can't look any better.

Anyways Star, the "Giga Cheep Cheep" looks amazing and expresses a lot of surprising depth. I'll critique when it's shaded since the current lineart is fine (though the bottom left corner of it's belly makes a sudden sharp turn inward).

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-16-2012

random update:

Bowsers fireball sprite will be replaced by a chomp (no advanced hacking required, Dooku). Star had a cool idea of the biting motion, and since bowsers f-ball rotates, it will constantly be biting. And it rotates from a set point like a chomp did in mario 64 and smb 3. Plus, a chomp was Bowsers weapon in mario rpg.

An excellent fit.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-16-2012

[Image: 34gyO.png]
Giga Cheep Cheep is killing my night lol

EDIT:

Finished? I'm not sure, too tired to tell. I'll check in again in a few hours. I'm sure some pixels are off.

[Image: lbdjS.png]

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Frario - 07-16-2012

....Sean

You make me feel young again ;__;

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-16-2012

May we, the Nostalgia Boner Crew, live on to continue our duties~

[Image: vVajc.png]

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Poison Mushroom Variations added] - Star - 07-17-2012

Holy sweet geebus, the views for this topic fff
[Image: 6IJV1.png]

I didn't realize how many views this project had until now. That's freakin crazy.
Updated the Lakitu and Hazards sheet with Piranha Plant and That Firething That I Forgot the Name of.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Poison Mushroom Variations added] - Random Talking Bush - 07-17-2012

(07-17-2012, 03:20 AM)Star Wrote: That Firething That I Forgot the Name of.
That would be Li'l Sparky.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - segwayspeedracer - 07-17-2012

As Dooku stated, characters now have access to eight palettes instead of four!!!!!!!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY TIME!
I sat down and mapped it out for Star: the characters still have to share with Items, HUD stuff, and Hazards, but still a tremendous leap for the abilities of Star's sprites!

Also, with the exception of Donut Plains and Koopa Beach, we found that the eighth palette was almost completely unused. Winning!!!

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - Gaia - 07-17-2012

(07-17-2012, 09:31 PM)segwayspeedracer Wrote: As Dooku stated, characters now have access to eight palettes instead of four!!!!!!!

I sat down and mapped it out for Star: the characters still have to share with Items, HUD stuff, and Hazards, but still a tremendous leap for the abilities of Star's sprites!

Also, with the exception of Donut Plains and Koopa Beach, we found that the eighth palette was almost completely unused. Winning!!!

So that means we get to up the quality the SNES library throws at us while still keeping the pallete for hacking?

STAR, I AM INSPIRED! Smile

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - Kami - 07-17-2012

(07-17-2012, 09:31 PM)segwayspeedracer Wrote: As Dooku stated, characters now have access to eight palettes instead of four!!!!!!!

Seems that Star has more toys to play with.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - segwayspeedracer - 07-17-2012

Quote:Seems that Star has more toys to play with.

Is this a good time to mention that I just realized that a ton of the item and obstacle sprites have duplicates?

behold:
[Image: 2ic8c9j.png]

And that, Dooku may have already mentioned this, Luigi now gets his own body!? Mattrizzle gave us a way to do that!
(For you that didn't know, Luigi and Mario shared a body sprite).

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - Sevenstitch - 07-17-2012

So does that mean that the duplicate item and obstacle sprite could be replaced with NEW items and obstacles?
Like ones that don't currently exist? Or would that conflict with the current objects?

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - Star - 07-18-2012

(07-17-2012, 09:41 PM)Gaia Wrote: So that means we get to up the quality the SNES library throws at us while still keeping the pallete for hacking?

STAR, I AM INSPIRED! Smile
I'm glad to have inspired you! It's an honor!

@Shadow Kami: OH YOU KNOW IT. I'm hngging all over the place right now.
Also, I've been sketching up some concepts for the revamped Rainbow Road (which I have codenamed Starpower Road heh). I think you guys will like what I have in mind for the course. Note that I'm not redesigning the formation of the course itself. Just making it look pretty~

@Stevenstitch: I..

I SWORE YOU HAD A DIFFERENT AVATAR EARLY.
AND IT MADE ME SMILE.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Hazards Sheet Updated] - Sevenstitch - 07-18-2012

Oh you~

I was afraid that perhaps it was too silly. I'm glad you liked it.
Maybe it'll stay around a little longer..

Oh, really looking forward to that Starpower Road, If any track deserves
some serious bling, Its that one.