The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Iceman404 - 07-13-2012

(07-13-2012, 11:34 PM)Ridge Troopa Wrote: Also, are the shrinking sprited really necessary? Or does the game engine not resize them on its own...?

Super Mario Kart does not use it's own Super FX chip, so no. It'd also just look really scratchy if it did considering how small the game's sprites are.
Anyways, there's nothing you can do about it, but the project became extremely serious once Star showed the outstanding quality of the sprite revamps he had in mind; that alone is enough to attract people like flies.

Edit: fffffff, I meant "yes"...

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - segwayspeedracer - 07-13-2012

Quote: Also, are the shrinking sprited really necessary? Or does the game engine not resize them on its own...?

Yes, they are necessary.

[Image: 122zrk9.png]

If I understood you correctly, you can see that it only gives you a sprite per increasing distance. I don't know if that sort of resizing thing you described was even used in the GBA version.

Star,

Also, since I'm on here. The question blocks you created are possible. It turns out that the question blocks have their own colors in the game. Yay!
I haven't actually done it yet because I need to use a SNES color calculator to properly translate your updated palettes.

Iceman404,

Thanks for everything you did to help! I didn't realize Star was working on items at that time. I neglected to send him the entirety of the sprite packet b/c of other projects. Also, to answer to your comments: my courses really aren't hot stuff ATM Sad I haven't had much of a chance to sit down and really hammer them out. Given how I want DK and Bowser to be able to take a course top speed, my options for course design are very limited.

Also, I will not edit driver stats aside from Wario. I was speaking to a different audience, announcing that it is in fact possible to have paired driver stats separate!! (I've never seen any mention of that before)

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Star - 07-14-2012

Yeah, Iceman has been helping me alot with different things for this project. He's awesome..man lol

Also, I'm so freakin happy that the tile is possible! HNNGGGHHHH. Can't wait to see how it looks in game.

[Image: plopr.png]
Did I fixy it? :B New pipe color is in the middle, took Ridge's suggestion.

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Iceman404 - 07-14-2012

I can't wait to long-boost off that. Smug

Help me i'm so nerdy :B

Edit: segway, I'd look at SMK Pro Edition on how make new unique levels that feel like the originals, are unique, and are professional looking (no boosters in all levels, all art assets used properly, no over complexities that utterly confuse placement, no jump pad spam etc.)

Oh, and thanks for clearing the stat business up, that had me for a while.

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

Lol!

Oh and I had a looksy. Seeing how monty moles do not show up properly except in donut plains tracks, im sure they share palettes with the donut plains road tiles. Heads up!

For reference, all obstacles have access to eight different palettes (four of them belong to the drivers)

Iceman 404,

I played that one! I honestly wasnt a fan of it.. super parigo kart is more my poison hehe. That and I love the idea of having alternate paths. It's kinda the formula behind SMB.

You made a great point about over saturating courses in boost pads, etc. Thanks! Kk, this is a spriters forum lol

Is this a good place to mention that I figured out how to do a mirror mode? Hehe Wink

Edit: Wrong hack. Yeah super pro kart is godly!

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Star - 07-14-2012

You figured out mirror mode? Kickass! I was wondering if you were able to do that or not.

Also, I worked on Lakitu. I made the "Final Lap" sign like that because I see what Nintendo was doing with the original sprite. They wanted to make it all flashy/catch your attention and be like "HEY, BETTER STOP SUCKING AND CATCH UP".

So I added my own personal touch to it.
As for the redlight countdown..I'm trying to think of something to do with him to have like a mini animation between each light. Nothing too fancy. Also, I know he has to have like a Big Grin face whenever it gets to the greenlight. Working on that.
I also just realized I didn't change the hue to blue on the pipe like Ridge suggested fff. Gonna give it a try.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Kriven - 07-14-2012

To this day I always mistake the (original game's) final lap card for a giant candybar >.>;

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-14-2012

I...I can't unsee this now.

<____>

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

Damn star, this is why we need to hang out today!! haha

The traffic light of Lakitu's color (red AND green) come from Mario and Luigi's hat. The different shades are from the different reds and greens.

I'm going to put tracks making on hold because Star and I do need to sit down together and map out palettes. And do some lovin... mmhm. Lol, but seriously, I have some possibly bad news. Actually, for every spriter on board who wanted to see these guys in a SMK rom, SNES does not support the 256 color RBG thing CPU art programs do now.

Yep. Confirmed. This sucks: It turns out that RBG goes from 0 to 31.... 31. 31.

A moment of silence for the fallen... whatever.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Iceman404 - 07-14-2012

Better idea, show him the snes palette on a sheet so he can modify his sprites with them to their full potential. It may take effort on your part, but the outcome will be worth it.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 10:11 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: Better idea, show him the snes palette on a sheet so he can modify his sprites with them to their full potential. It may take effort on your part, but the outcome will be worth it.

I wasn't aware until just now the extraordinarily limited palette, so that's the plan.

And for some reason it's come across before that I'm not willing to help Star or do any work for this Mario Kart game. "It may take effort your part" is a pretty ridiculous statement to make, dude. I was never told that he needed sprite sheets for the green shells when I had ripped the sprite two weeks ago, and I wasn't aware that he had done all of the items or objects until I stumbled upon this forum while trying to figure out SMK data.

What? When I said 'it may take effort on your part" I meant it might be a real bitch to look through every color and show him each one.

Have I been doing something wrong the past few days? Everyone's taking my statements personal :C

EDIT:
(07-14-2012, 01:40 AM)segwayspeedracer Wrote: Is this a good place to mention that I figured out how to do a mirror mode? Hehe Wink
welp, shit just got real

(07-14-2012, 10:43 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: What? When I said 'it may take effort on your part" I meant it might be a real bitch to look through every color and show him each one.

Oh. lol well never mind. Sorry. Sad

I felt like a bumbling idiot reading these forums, not being aware of the challenges you guys face. Y'all really work y'alls asses off! Smile

And no, it's taken like 5 minutes to map them out. TG for other programs haha.

Nah, Iceman, you've been a huge, experienced hand in all of this Smile

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Jdaster64 - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 10:29 AM)segwayspeedracer Wrote: I wasn't aware until just now the extraordinarily limited palette, so that's the plan.

And for some reason it's come across before that I'm not willing to help Star or do any work for this Mario Kart game. "It may take effort your part" is a pretty ridiculous statement to make, dude. I was never told that he needed sprite sheets for the green shells when I had ripped the sprite two weeks ago, and I wasn't aware that he had done all of the items or objects until I stumbled upon this forum while trying to figure out SMK data.

Extrordinarily limited? Surely rounding to 15-bit color wouldn't look THAT terrible; there's likely to be some good rough approximations in there somewhere. Or are you referring to the scope of things that use Mario's pallette?

Star, you should make the "Final Lap" text a bit bolder so it's visible from pretty much anywhere. I came up with the scenario of someone running this on an SNES flash cart, and how hard it'd be to see on an old TV or something 1 pixel thin.
[Image: FinalLap.png]
Giving the cloud an expression solely for the final lap will also add to that rush feeling you wanted to incorporate into it further.