The VG Resource
[INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/22/12 - Reconstructing OP - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/22/12 - Reconstructing OP (/thread-18905.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 05/29/12 - Yo-Yo Boy - 06-01-2012

Spinarak [Image: NeoGenesisExpansionSymbol2.png]
[Image: WSW2p.png]
Made this while trying to log onto TSR multiple times without success.

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 05/29/12 - Plino - 06-01-2012

Wow, nice to have you back Yo-Yo Boy!

Squirtle [Image: BlackStarPromoSymbol.png]
[Image: SquirtleMcDonaldsPromo.png]

Bulbasaur [Image: ExpeditionBaseSetExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: BulbasaurTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 05/29/12 - Plino - 06-02-2012

Can't decide which one I like best...

Feraligatr [Image: ExpeditionBaseSetExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: Feraligatr1TCG.png]

Feraligatr [Image: ExpeditionBaseSetExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: FeraligatrExpeditionLargeTCG.png]

In the first one, I kept the dimensions are they're "supposed" to be. I recently found out that cards whose art box is larger laterally than that of Pokemon cards from Base Set to Neo Destiny (that is, cards like Trainers and Pokemon cards from Expedition Base Set) are like that because the top is cut off and the art is simply enlarged so as not to seem smaller. To get an idea of what I mean, first look at this Venonat from one of the Japan-exclusive Vending Machine Sets-

...and now look at the same card, but reprinted in Pokemon Web, which uses the "stretched" art box from Expedition and onwards-

Notice how the left sides end the same way: with a running Venonat with a Pokeball above it. However, you'll see that the top and bottom of the Pokemon Web version are cut off. From this I concluded that the "right" way to sprite such cards would be to match the left and right sides and fill in the top and bottom (although, admittedly, the spriters for the first two Game Boy games cut the edges off of Trainer cards when spriting them.) Anyway, the top version of the Feraligatr was done with these parameters. I kept the sides intact and filled in the top and bottom. However, for the second version, I matched the top and bottom while cutting off the sides. On one hand, I like the background in the top version better, and it shows more. On the other, the bottom one allows for more detail on the focal point of the sprite. So, thoughts?

Edit:

Hitmontop [Image: BlackStarPromoSymbol.png]
[Image: HitmontopPromoTCG.png]

Edit 06/03/12:

Marowak [Image: VendingMachineExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: MarowakTCG.png]

Kadabra [Image: VendingMachineExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: KadabraTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/03/12 - Plino - 06-04-2012

More new sprites!

Tangela [Image: VendingMachineExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: TangelaTCG.png]

Electabuzz [Image: BlackStarPromoSymbol.png]
[Image: ElectabuzzTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Yo-Yo Boy - 06-04-2012

It's good to be back too! Smile
Ferroseed [Image: EmergingPowersExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: DScQA.png]
I only used 4 colours on this one because I don't really think I should use one more just for the eyes.

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Plino - 06-04-2012

Four colours, nice! It's always challenging making a sprite look good with only four colours, which is why I admire the spriters from GB1.

Ooyama's Pikachu [Image: VendingMachineExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: OoyamasPikachuTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Garamonde - 06-04-2012

I don't know why but that Pikachu looks drunk to me. XD

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Yo-Yo Boy - 06-04-2012

Quick question.
What are we gonna do with Legendrary cards? I have no idea how we're going to fit them on the screen.

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Plino - 06-04-2012

(06-04-2012, 03:20 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: I don't know why but that Pikachu looks drunk to me. XD

Hey, you're right, he does! Ha ha, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out.

Yo-Yo Boy: For those I was thinking we could make alternate prints. That is, for each individual piece of the whole Legend card, we make a sprite, but then a sprite is made for the whole piece. So, for Raikou and Suicune Legend, we'd sprite each half, then make a third sprite depicting both of them, to represent the whole card. Since both halves have to be played at once, it wouldn't be too hard to program it I think... each half would count as a card in the hand, deck, discard pile, etc. And the third sprite would simply be a representation, not altering card count.

Also,

Next Destinies [Image: NextDestiniesExpansionSymbol.png]

Dark Explorers [Image: DarkExplorersExpansionSymbol.png]

The hexagons in the Next Destinies one were kind of hard to get to look right...

Edit:

Totodile [Image: NeoDestinyExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: TotodileTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Chris2Balls [:B] - 06-04-2012

I don't know if this has already been done or not, but I gave it a go:
Koffing[Image: ExpeditionBaseSetExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: T1CJs.png]
I think I used seven colours.

Edit:
[Image: 0nvGF.png]

Wow. That's just an amazing sprite. Actually I'm glad you did it since I find that Koffing (and the Weezing from the same expansion) so vile... Also, nah, you used eight colours. Tongue Here's your palette.

[Image: 2z735tx.png]

Also one last thing. Do you think you could add a border around the sprite using the darkest colour in the palette? One pixel, and it stays within the dimension limit. I would do it myself but I have this thing against messing with other peoples' sprites, ha ha.

Edit: Last sprite for today. One of my favorite cards.

Sabrina's Porygon [Image: GymChallengeExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: SabrinasPorygon.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Chris2Balls [:B] - 06-05-2012

Thanks, Starturds, Koffing should be fixed now. I was compelled to post here when I saw some of your cards: Mew and Feraligatr are my favourite so far.
Keep up the good work! Smile

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - tykel - 06-05-2012

(06-04-2012, 06:49 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: I don't know if this has already been done or not, but I gave it a go:
Koffing[Image: ExpeditionBaseSetExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: T1CJs.png]
I think I used seven colours.

Edit:
[Image: 0nvGF.png]

Wow, only 8? That's some pretty awesome colour use there!

Koffing is lacking a bit of definition, particularly on his top side, but great job.

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/04/12 - Plino - 06-05-2012

Thanks for fixing that Chris (is it ok if I call you Chris? Or do you prefer Chris2Balls?) Also, you didn't have to remove the white. Eight is the palette limit, so your original sprite still conformed to it.

Psyduck [Image: BlackStarPromoSymbol.png]
[Image: PsyduckPromoTCG.png]

Edit:

Unown J [Image: BlackStarPromoSymbol.png]
[Image: UnownJPromoTCG.png]

RE: [INDEV] Pokemon Card GB Expansion | New Sprites 06/06/12 - Plino - 06-08-2012

Hello again! Here's a new sprite, from my favorite TCG artist, Aya Kusube.

Caterpie [Image: VendingMachineExpansionSymbol.png]
[Image: CaterpieVendingTCG.png]

Houndour from Neo Discovery is next.