The VG Resource

Full Version: Alex Kidd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Years later!

[Image: 26b28c5fae0a4ee7943b1e009b3a94b2.png]

Starting anew, using the actual current official design and a scale more in line with the Mega Drive. Objective as usual is to try and get enough assets for one (1) level.

Old version of the OP:
I can't think of much, but how about giving the shading a little more contrast?
I dunno- I'm liking it being as flat as possible. Unless you mean how the white boot in the shadow isn't as markedly different from the white compared to the red leg?

[Image: 767de8b1bfd045a8821bfd135cda62f2.png]

Made them smaller, closer to the size of the sprite in the original game. Also added a few other SEGA Mascots. Not happy with Segata Sanshiro yet, but hard to convey that wonderful face on a small space

EDIT:
[Image: alexkidd.gif]
Animating is an art beyond me
Personally, I prefer more contrast with my sprites overall, but if that's the style you're going for, go ahead. Since you pointed it out, though, I think the boot could use more contrast, like you said.
Is that the Alice in Wonderland Rabbit, or...?
[Image: Asobin_sggg.jpg]

http://segaretro.org/Professor_Asobin

Professor Asobin. SEGA's first mascot.

EDIT:
[Image: b2b374ac1f47015500115b115d1435c3.png]

[Image: alexkidd2.gif]
Not bad, luv that game as a kid!
Thanks!

[Image: alexkidd3.gif]
Reanimated the walk- I prefer this, more fluid. Still some wonky bits though.

[Image: alexkidd5.gif]
And this... I'm divided here. The idea is that this is after Shinobi World, so Alex kept some Ninja stylings. My first reaction to this run though was "eh not working I'll do one with less frames and lots of motion blur".
Looking at it again though, I'm starting to find it charmingly goofy. What do you guys think?
[Image: alexkidd6.gif]
Inspired on an edit Gors gently did. On one hand I'm liking this, but there's a bit of a pop-up from the further knee I'm not sure how to solve.

[Image: alexkidd7.gif]
Crappy Blue Luigi mentioned the arms had some issues so I tried solving it
[Image: arexkidd.png]

Compiled sheet so far. Beyond tinkering with things like hair movement, and pondering whether to add more frames to the jump (right now it's working like in Shinobi, one sprite for up, one for down, maybe add one for launch and one for landing, or one for up-down and one for landing), I think I'll move into fighting next- want to do a typical punch-punch-uppercut combo, but having punch one be rock, two paper, three scissors
(11-13-2014, 08:24 AM)The KKM Wrote: [ -> ][Image: arexkidd.png]

Compiled sheet so far. Beyond tinkering with things like hair movement, and pondering whether to add more frames to the jump (right now it's working like in Shinobi, one sprite for up, one for down, maybe add one for launch and one for landing, or one for up-down and one for landing), I think I'll move into fighting next- want to do a typical punch-punch-uppercut combo, but having punch one be rock, two paper, three scissors
These sprites are quite impressive. I really like his run, as well as his jumping sprites. I have to admit that I wish I would have thought of those kinds of poses while I was making my own custom sprite sheet for him. Would you mind if I adopted a couple of your ideas?
I based the animations on shinobi, so sure, copy what you want

just updating with an attempt at a Game Gear from SEGA Hard Girls in this style

[Image: Jro4RDa.png]

I imagine on this game, you'd probably have the SHG at various stages as bonuses- rescue them and gain an ability referencing their console. Game Gear would maybe give you a small robot like Tails Adventure's
She looks neat.
the amount of black/gray parts make the character confusing, however that's not your fault... the char design and the palette don't really help you
Awesome job. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle ftw! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2